BOSE OR NOT ( T Reg AUDI 1999) How do you diagnose

mspah

Reaction score

Hey all,

Picking up my new car on Thursday and want to fit my head unit, not sure on how to diagnose if a BOSE system or not. And is there any difference between the fitting adaptors for BOSE systems?

Any information on wiring would be also useful, i have Kenwood MP3 player, 4 x 13cm Pioneers, 1 x AMP & SUB and have additional wiring kit.

Is it easy? Will i need any other adaptors for speakers and/or wiring loom?

Cheers all

Turn on the standard head unit - if it says BOSE when you switch it on, you'll have BOSE!

Another way to check is to open the boot and look in the rear left wheel arch. If you see a big black box above the wheel arch - you have BOSE!

[ QUOTE ]
Imola S3 said:
Another way to check is to open the boot and look in the rear left wheel arch. If you see a big black box above the wheel arch - you have BOSE!

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends what model it is, the standard non-BOSE system in an A3/S3 also has a black box in the left hand cubby hole, this has a sub in it. It has a grille on the back end of it (facing the light cluster) where the sub is mounted, I think the BOSE system has two grilles for the two drivers. Best way to tell is to see if the HU says BOSE proudly when switched on.

Whats the advanatage to a BOSE system, if i intend to run my own sub anyway, is the standard one any good or not?

Not.
It's the same "high quality" plastic enclosure that the non Bose system uses, and seems to use the vibration of said plastic to enhance the bass. If you take it out and wire it up separately you can have races on a flat surface. They move really fast with some pounding hip hop.
In a nutshell, the advantage of Bose overall is a system that sounds OK, as opposed to a system that sounds dreadful (non Bose). Anyone who says they are quite happy with either, obviously hasn't heard a decent in car system.
But then "each to their own", not everybody is that into music I guess (thus the success of Dido).

Sade for the millenium (but at least Sade was fit).
Lighthouse family rock!!!

[ QUOTE ]
AndyMac said:
Lighthouse family rock!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

***HELP***
Right ok, i've worked out it's not BOSE, but i'm not sure\ which to use RCA or speaker output, Query whats RCA (Sorry, I'm Dumb) and also which would be the best if i entend to upgrade obviously the head unit and the speakers and an added extra amp and sub?

Picked the motor up today 31,000 miles on the clock, 1.6, T Reg, one lady owner & only £4850. :)
I'm well impressed.

Any replies to the above would be of great help, cheers.

Matt

RCA's are the type of plug found on HiFi equipment, also known as Phono plugs. RCA's are used for pre-out signals, i.e. signals from the source before they reach the power amplification. They are low level 1 to 4v, so the cable is heavily screened to avoid interference.
RCA's are used by all leading car manufacturers of car audio to connect HU's to amps. Audi use ther own bizarre style of cable to feed the rear amp, but the signal is still low level pre-out, and there are adapters to take this connection to standard RCA's.
Replace the HU with an Alpine CDA-9812rr (or similar) and run all new signal cabling to any amps.

RCA's are the type of plug found on HiFi equipment, also known as Phono plugs. RCA's are used for pre-out signals, i.e. signals from the source before they reach the power amplification. They are low level 1 to 4v, so the cable is heavily screened to avoid interference.
RCA's are used by all leading manufacturers of car audio to connect HU's to amps. Audi use ther own bizarre style of cable to feed the rear amp, but the signal is still low level pre-out, and there are adapters to take this connection to standard RCA's.
Replace the HU with an Alpine CDA-9812rr (or similar) and run all new signal cabling to any amps.

RCA's are used by all leading manufacturers of car audio to connect HU's to amps. Audi use ther own bizarre style of cable to feed the rear amp, but the signal is still low level pre-out, and there are adapters to take this connection to standard RCA's.