Converting Symphony II+ antenna system for use with RNS-E

JohnS3

Reaction score
Well my cables have arrived (long story) After weeks of excuses from RMcoax in the UK, I eventually bought them from http://www.krenn.at in Austria. One hour after making contact with them the cables were assembled and ready to ship, fantastic service!

You'll need these parts -
- GOLF diversity module 1T0 035 530 -> Vagparts £77.81 + VAT
- Power connector 1C0 973 119B -> Vagparts £1.19 + VAT
- 1 x repair cable (this gives 2 pre-wired connectors) 000 979 009 -> Vagparts £0.98 + VAT
- 2 x adaptor cables -> Krenn.at 76 Euro delivered to the UK. A PDF schematic for the cables is available here http://www.audi4ever.at/phpbb3/download/file.php?id=108&sid=d62f82351024f344ccf9d3bfb37d55cd
Not essential but a nice touch is the use of a roll of cloth tape (clothtape -> Vagparts £3.63 + VAT) this is the same tape Audi use when making the looms. Worth it for the OEM look when you've been into the loom for your power feeds.

Here is a shot of the assembled module ready for fitting

antadapter.jpg

Here is a shot showing details of the connections

antadapterlabel.jpg

Pick up your +12v from terminal D15 and the GND from terminal D12, both in connector D in quadlock. The golf module only pulls around 1mA so shouldn't flatten the battery. I tried to use a relay to switch the supply using D13 (remote on) as the trigger, but it doesn't look like there is enough time for the relay to feed power to the Golf module before the RNSe logs intermittent ZF DTCs. It's worth running a vagcom scan before you start just to check if all is well with the car. During the install you'll probably create some more DTCs, especially if you unplug your RNSe, just clear all these out after your install.

The module is attached with velcro above and to the right of the RNSe cage. There is just enough room to position the module and a handy hole in the top of the cage for a finger or two to help with alignment. I positioned it to the right to give a little more free cable for the antenna wires to reach the RNSe when it's out of the dash, it might help if you order them a little longer. Make sure your power wires are also long enough.

Now it's in place I can confirm that no more ZF related DTCs are logged, no more "greyed out" stations and much better FM reception.

You can check to see if the ZF figures change in radio test menu 3 in engineering mode.

Thanks to the guys at Audi4Ever.at for inventing this fix and Petroldave for guidance on wiring.

Regards, John.

Thanks! I've been wanting to do a conversion, but the ZF error irks me. Though the price of 150 isnt exactly cheap.

Has this been posted on navplus yet?

boggysv said:
Thanks! I've been wanting to do a conversion, but the ZF error irks me. Though the price of 150 isnt exactly cheap.

Has this been posted on navplus yet?

Oh yes! ;)

If you buy a module from a breakers you could probably do it for under £120