Looking for some fairly basic(!) A3 8L advice.

Dubturbo

VW Golf mk2 20VT / Audi A3 1.6 Sport
Reaction score
Hey there!

The usual volume control problem has hit the concert hu in my non-Bose 2000 A3, so I thought it was a good excuse to change it and the Audi 6-disc changer for an old Blaupunkt St. Louis HU and 10-disc CD changer (CDC-A09) I have lying around.

Using a regular Autoleads install cable, the headunit worked fine. Then upon discovering that the connectors on either side of the Audi CD changer cable were the same as on my Blau cable, I hooked the Blau units up to see would they work, and save me pulling out panels to install another changer cable. However the head unit failed to recognise the CDC, so I presume it's just another case of using the same connectors but swapping around the pins!

There's a few things though I'm unsure of. First of all, the can-bus wire and the wire on the red block (which seems to be a mute wire, so I don't think it's serious but would like to make sure) would be unconnected with this install. Are there any further implications for this, especially the can-bus? I'm not familiar with these systems at all.

Secondly, the factory setup for the powered rear speakers and mini-sub seems on first inspection to be happy enough running off the Blau's preamp output, which again uses the same plug type. The sub was definitely working when I played some bassy music, and when I faded the sound to the rear output on the HU the rear speakers were definitely present. I'm not looking to build much of a system in this car really, as it's my daily and I don't want to mess with it too much, but something that can use the factory stuff well is good enough for me - so, would it be unhealthy for the factory rear amp, sub and speakers to run them this way long term? I don't want to use it for a few weeks only for the amp to pop then :)

And finally....would anyone have a part number for the OE Audi DIN facia adaptor for a 00 A3? I have two Autoleads adaptors that both claim to fit my car, they're both FP-05-02s, but are somehow entirely different designs, with one thicker that won't fit in my dash at all, and other narrower, that does fit, but protrudes awfully lot from the flush lines of the dash, even with the small rubber bungs taken out, and it looks absolutely terrible. It should be possible to have it entirely flush, shouldn't it?

Sorry for the long post, and thanks for your patience!! :) I'd really appreciate any insights.

Thanks for the reply Andy!

I couldn't see any reason myself why it shouldn't work, it is a pre-amp signal after all, I was just second-guessing to be absolutely sure though - usually my assumptions end up with stuff breaking :)

Will that fascia definitely fit my car? Mine was built in July 00, that one says for Dec onwards, by which they mean the 01 model year I suppose, but mine's definitely a 2000 model year.

Cheers Andy :)

The adaptor listed for my car looks to be an identical design to one of the Autoleads ones I have that doesn't fit! What's the difference between the later dash and the early dash do you know? The full frame one looks around the right size...