s3 sub and amp install

S3ren

Lovely Sunshine
Reaction score
hi folks, i some advice?

i have just installed a amp and a sub in my s3 02/52 without bose, i started off by reading a few of andymacs post and ran a power lead direct from the battery to the boot and i had already disconnected the stupid subwoofer that Audi most of found in a skip i took apart the sub and got the little amp out and sealed it up and plugged it back in so the rear speakers would work and also used the speaker wire that goes to the little amp to connect a rca converter, its all working but i need to connect a remote as the one i used is no good and the quality of sound is **** cause i have to turn my amp up tp full to get any sound from the sub, what i have realised is that one of rca's is not working even when use the HU and move the fadar to the rear and balance to left only the rear speaker works but if you move the balance to the right the rear speaker and sub works any ideas?
as this is doin my head in?
i have used the wrong thing should i've got a mini iso to rca?
if so which one and where to get it from?:huh:

Exactly how have you connected the amp to the Audi amp?
If you've used a line out converter on the output that was going to the sub speaker then have you connected both feeds? The single sub is a dual VC sub so has 2 seperate feeds, one left, one right. Also how is the new amp setup - what input mode are you using stereo/mono/ch1 + ch2?
TBH you'd be far better off ditching the stock amp and buying a cheap 2 x 25w watt amp for the rears, and then plugging directly into the rear pre-outs and splitting the signal, or buy a 4ch amp.

i have used a line out off the rear speakers to use for a rca supply, and am using a kenwood 4 channel kac-8452 running a 12" jl audio sub running it mono bridged

A line out off the rear speakers? That doesn't make sense.
You can't connect speaker output to RCA input.
You either have to use the speaker inut on the amp (if it has one) or use a line out converter which takes the amplified speaker output and converts it back down to pre-out level which you can then plug straight into the RCA input on the amp.
You don't need to do either. Just pick up the pre-outs feeding the stock Audi amp and use those. Using speaker level input will give you a distorted, noisy signal, already amped by the fisher price Audi amp - not recommended.
Also "mono" mode on the amp will only give you a left or right signal for 2 channels bridged. This is used only when using a 4ch amp in 2 channel bridged mode i.e. ch1 & ch2 bridged for left speaker, ch3 & ch4 bridged for right speaker. You would never use this for a sub, even a DVC as it will feed 2 different signals to either voice coil.
Set the input mode to stereo if you are using 2 channels bridged for the sub and the other 2 channels for the rears, or 1+2 & 3+4 for the sub if running all 4 channels bridged for a dual voice coil sub.
Bridging 2 channels automatically provides a mono signal.
Here's the pinouts to the sub connector, forget the Audi amp it's a piece of crap:
A3subloompinouts.jpg

cheers i knew you the man!!!!!
right i am guna take a photo of what i have done and can you tell me if its right cause i am a little confused:ermm:

here we are this is the mess i've made haven't sorted it all yet as need to get it working properly.
DSC00038.jpg

DSC00039.jpg

DSC00040.jpg

DSC00041.jpg

DSC00042.jpg

A few questions:
Why are you using a seperate line out converter when the Kenwood amp has a speaker level input?
Why are you using the Audi amp for the rear speakers when you have 2 spare channels on the Kenwood you can use for the rears?
Here's how you should connect it up:
Cut off the red sub connector, and tape up the fat red/white perm live so it can't short on anything as it is live.
Cut the ends off the RCA cable and strip back so you can seperate the signal wires and the 2 screens.
Take the the brown/red wire from the Audi loom and splice it to the signal wire for the right RCA (usually red). I'd solder it to ensure a good connection as they are very thin.
Do the same with the Blue/Green wire onto the left signal wire on the RCA (usually white).
Then connect both screens on the RCA's to the 2 x thin brown wires on the Audi loom. Tape up all connections so that nothing can touch or short on anything. Ensure there are no stray screen wires floating around.
Plug the other en of the RCA cable into channel A RCA input on the Kenwood.
Splice your blue "remote on" wire for the amp to the white/black wire on the Audi loom & tape up.
That's the input complete, then to connect the rears to your spare channels:
Take the Green/blue wire on the loom and connect to speaker output A left negative
Take the Blue/green wire on the loom and connect to speaker output A left positive
Take the Green/red wire on the loom and connect to speaker output A right negative
Take the Red/green wire on the loom and connect to speaker output A right positive
That's the wiring complete. Get rid of the line out converter and the Audi amp.
The Kenwood settings should be:
Channel A
Filter Off
Mode - Stereo
Input Select - A position (this will feed the rear pre-outs from the Audi loom to both Amps A & B, so you don't need to split the input signal with a Y splitter)
Channel B
Filter = On (Low Pass)
Mode - Stereo
Sub connected bridged on channel B (which you've already done).

Amp settings
Channel A
Set the input sensitivity to mid point or lower (it needs to match the fronts, so will need adjusting with the HU on) I usually set it slightly lower than the fronts so you can use the front/rear fader to add a bit of extra sub on tracks with little bass.
Channel B
Set the LPF to about 80-90 Hz for the sub
Input sensitivity needs to be adjusted with the HU on and using quite a bassy CD. For best results do the adjustment with the HU Bass on to minus 2. This will improve the sound from the cabin speakers as they won't be handling any significant bass, but is critical for the sub as well as you are limiting the bass going to the sub amp.
Sounds a lot more complicated than it is, but should only take 10 minutes.

i am guna try this sorry about all the questions!!!!!:salute:

hi andy, cause of the quality that was coming out of the front speakers i've decided to put a Alpine HU in its a alpine cde-9822rb just wanted to ask what i needed to connect this all up,
I no i can get rid of audi amp and that rca converter and all i need to do now is use the rca off the hu to plug straight in to the kenwood amp, but need to no how to fit the hu properly.

If you're bypassing the Audi sub/rear amp then you don't need any wiring adapters. The power ISO connection will plug straight in, but you'll need to swap the perm live and ignition on lives as Audi wire them back to front. The front speaker loom plugs straight in as well.
You'll also need a facia adapter to fill the gaps either side of the stock HU, and an aerial amp adapter to feed power to the bee-sting aerial amp.
2 sets of RCA cables & a remote on wire and away you go.

where can i buy a facia from? do i need to run 2 rca's then? also can i run the remote on the hu to both the amp and the aeriel?:icon_thumright:

hi mate i had a look at that facia that you posted me but how does this cover the gap at the bottom of the hu then, do you have to do a bit of diy to it?

Have you got a Symphony HU then?
Double DIN fascia's are hard to come by, IIRC someone on here found one for the 8L, but can't remember off hand, sorry.

yer bud its the doudle din symphony 2? i have asked a local stereo shop they have order me one and they reckon its the one i need so fingers crossed.

f***ing ******** these c*cks no nothing, they order it and tell me it'll be in 2mrw and then when i've already removed everything ready to put the new alpine hu in they call and say "sorry they don't make one for your car" now i'm proper f***ed wiv a car in bits and no facia can someone shine some light on this plz. (its a symphony 2 double din) looks to me like it is the same size as the one you get in a A4.