New Headunit - Connecting up

diesel-a4

Stoned As Fuk
Reaction score
Hey guys, i just picked up a new cd/dvd player and was wondering how i hook it up tp the audi system.

I can see 2 sets of leads, one has a brown + black + green connecter on the end which i assume is power?

I also have a black lead with a round metal head which am thinkin is the aerial but for some reason i cant find any leads for the speakers

Ill snap some pics shortly and stick them up

Thoughts?

If you don't have a brown ISO plug for the front speakers then you obviously have the Bose upgrade which is a fully amplified system. You will need a specific adapter to link into the Bose amp, either RCA input (but you may get an annoying popping) or the speaker input adapter, solves the popping issue but poorer quality.

cheers andy. Any idea what the input to the amp looks like?

The one i have has a sliver circle head with a sliver pin on a white plastic background. Is this for the amp? and the only lead i need to connect to send sound to the speakers?

The car is an 1998 A4 1.9TDi SE if that helps

I also have 3 plugs - 1 black, 1 brown and 1 green which are power i guess

Black is power, brown is front speakers, green no idea.
The silver one is the aerial.
As you don't have the Bose upgrade then forget the amp, just rewire the rears directly to the HU. The amp is a feeble 2 x 20w, so bypass it.

cheers bud, ill snap a pic of the back of the H/U so i know wtf am doing lol :rockwoot:

was emailing a guy from nexxia.co.uk today and he seems to think that this will do the job for me

http://www.nexxia.co.uk/Car_Stereo_fitting_kits/Audi/80_90_100_200.htm

but i think this one would be better suited:
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]PC9-404[/FONT]

[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

and this for the radio antena
PC5-27.jpg

thoughts?

Yes that's the right one to link up the rear amp, but totally pointless, just rewire the rears for much better results otherwise your fronts will be twice as loud as your rears.

thats the thing i dont have a clue on how to rewire it so i thought this would be the easier option

Just confused meself even more lol

yea shes a 98 A4 timps , thanks for that

what about the other adpater, anything on that site that will do the job or one of the 2 above

sorry timps but i didnt see the pics as i was at work and they were block but by looking at them i dont think thats gonna work

this is what i have comin out of the dash:

The Audi aerial lead already in your car should look like this.

endea4.jpg

The above Audi aerial from your car will plug into this end of the lead below.

plugns4.jpg

And this end below should plug into the back of your head unit .

radioqw2.jpg

The blue wire connects to a switched live from the new head unit, either aerial or amp remote.
The Audi lead connector is the same on both leads its only the head unit end that is different, depending on the make of replacement head unit some use the first one I posted, some use the second.

The first one is identical to the original Audi one.

cheers buddy i get you now.

Maybe i shouldnt of smoked the wee j i had in me pocket :hubbahubba:

:icon_thumright:

picked this up:
http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/aud...9.html?cadid=0b79ea4b5c6fda77f2efd589033039f5

and i was talking to the guy there and he said it should work no worries. BUT i just pulled of some black tape round the bunch of wires to see some of them have been cut and are going no were. some are stuck with black tape together. a real **** face of a job by the look of it.

and your right headunit still wont come on

so were can i find out how and were these cut leads should go

thanks
diesel

Post some pics of the butchered cables and we should be able to work it out.

hey andy sorry for the delay, had some trouble with my cam

here is what i have:

if you need any more just shout and ill get them sorted
SV103835.jpg

SV103836.jpg

SV103837.jpg

SV103838.jpg

SV103839.jpg

SV103840.jpg

SV103841.jpg

SV103842.jpg

SV103843.jpg

SV103844.jpg

SV103845.jpg

SV103846.jpg

Can you take some shots that are actually in focus, those pics are really doing my eyes in. I think you need to use the macro setting on your camera.
From what I can make out it looks like they've already populated the front speaker harness so it's now wired for the rears as well as the fronts, so that will plug straight into your new HU harness - the bottom section in the last photo. If you check out the rear deck speakers then you should see that they've bypassed the Audi rear amp, and there should be some new speaker wire running directly to the speakers.
The black ISO connector is power, which plugs into the top section of the HU loom (above the speaker section).
The green mini ISO plug is the feed to the DIS, this won't work with an aftermarket HU so forget about that plug.
The Red plug is just illumination so your HU dims if you adjust the dimmer on your dash, so I wouldn't worry about that either, or if you want this feature then you need to chop off the red plug and connect the wire to the illumination feed on the new HU.
You don't need the adapter you bought at all as the previous owner has actually done you a favour by rewiring the rears.
So all you need now is the antenna amp adapter which plugs in between the silver aerial lead and the new HU aerial socket, then connect the flying power lead to the power antenna wire on the HU.

ill take some better photos at the weekend in daylight because when i wake up for work its dark and when i get home its dark again lol. Ill post up some clear ones and some of the rear speakers.

I plugged the black and brown iso plug into the harness that came with the HU and no luck, wouldnt even light up for me

ok so i have the photos but cant get them off the dam camera.

Here is the set up at the min with the wires coming out of the dash

Brown Plug

Pin 1: Green/Red - Cut Off - Hooked to nothing
Pin 2: Brown/Black - Cut Off - Hooked to nothing
Pin 3: Grey/Red
Pin 4: Brown/Grey
Pin 5: Blue/Grey
Pin 6: Blue/Brown
Pin 7: Blue/Green
Pin 8: Bowrn/Red

Pins 3 to 8 have been cut and matched to the same colour of wire with black tape. There is also a Blue/Red and Brown/Red wire cut hooked to nothing

Black Plug - Untouched

Pin 1: Blue/White
Pin 2: Empty
Pin 3: Green/Blue
Pin 4: Red
Pin 5: Empty
Pin 6: Blue/White
Pin 7: Red/Blue
Pin 8: Brown

Green Plug - Looks Untouched aprt from one white wire come from the middle of the bunch

this is the headunit set up as labeled by the maker - Sevic Systems
HeadUnit - 8pin side of the harness that came with the unit
Pin 1: RR-
Pin 2: RR+
Pin 3: FR-
Pin 4: FR+
Pin 5: FL-
Pin 6: FL+
Pin 7: RL-
Pin 8: RL+

3pin Side
Pin 1: BATT
Pin 2: Power GND
Pin 3: ACC
this has confused the feck out of me :wtf:

Not sure what they've done with the rear right speaker connection (pin 1 & 2 on the brown plug). I'd imagine the Blue/Red and Brown/Red wire need to be reconnected to pins 1 & 2.
You'd need to have a look at the wires on the rear right speaker to ascertain which is positive and which is negative. If in doubt get a friend to connect an AA battery across the wires, while you put your hand on the rear right cone. If the cone moves up/out then the wire connected to the +ve of the battery is the +ve wire, if it moves down/in then it's the negative.
Forget the green plug you don't need it.
So all we need to do is connect up the black power ISO correctly. Is your numbering consistent between the socket on the Audi loom and the plug on the HU? i.e. the plug will be the reverse of the socket.
This is a pic of the standard power ISO on an Audi, the wire colours may change but ground is always brown.
ISOPowerdiag.jpg

If we take the red wire with a white stripe as pin 1 (UB+ in the diagram), and ground as pin 2 and the yellow wire with red stripe as pin 6 (S-kont). Those are the only pins you need to power the unit.
So using a 12v testing screwdriver ensure you have perm 12v on pin 1, and switched 12v live on pin 6, this should be live with ignition on then 0v when you take the keys out.
Having established the above is all correct on the Audi loom, you just need to connect up your HU plug so that:
Perm live (pin 1) goes to pin 1 on the socket
ACC (pin 3) goes to pin 6 on the socket
Ground (pin 2) goes to pin 2 on the socket

If the HU plug does not have a pin 6 populated then you'll need a very small screwdriver to release the pin and move it to pin 6 location. Shove the screwdriver down the wire side and wiggle it about while pulling on the wire. Alternatively cut off the plug completely and rewire it to the black plug on the spare adapter you have (last pic above) which I can see does have pins 1,2 & 6 populated.

ok so the headunit is now working to the front speakers but still ntohing to the back. The problem was as simple as it was and i admit it, the fooker took the radio fuse out of the fuse box... thanks very much for that i much say.

here is a clear pic of how the brown iso cables look.

I aint got a chance to test the battery yet and wont do untill next week sometime as shes now in getting serviced

As I said you need to check the rear speaker connections, and ensure they have run the new wiring all the way to the rears and bypassed the Audi amp that's bolted to the rear left magnet.

ill give that a go once shes back, Cheers for your help Andy mate