Audi Navigation Plus

Crazy_Eddie

Reaction score
I have a V reg 1999, Audi S4, with Navigation Plus RNS-D, and i was wondering, if i got the correct faceplate, is it a straight swap, to install the RNS-E. Are the connections the same and will the dash display work properly.

no its different connectors but adapters are available

you really could do with canbus to get it working properly with the dis etc, but you could use a canbus emulator to get the rns-e working to a degree

afaik 1999 doesnt have canbus - the breakpoint was about 2000 but if your dash has a digital clock then maybe.

you would need the a6 unit for the gala to work with your car, and the a6 faceplate needs a chop to fit top to bottom but the sides will have a small gap

if you dont have canbus i wouldnt bother at all. if you do then its an easy project.

My car does have a digital clock, but i am getting a little lost with terminologies. eg. canbus and afaik. I could do with the process, being made a little simpler for me.

the can-bus system is a car-wide network system for various components to send signals to each other without needing lots of individual wires

the navigation/dis/radio/steering wheel/phone use a separate entertainment can-bus so that each components can talk to all the others

the canbus was introduced around yr2000 and has gradually taken over to that later cars eg 8P a3 use mostly canbus for all the cars components including ecu, dash, engine etc etc and most devices can no longer use the k-wire diagnostics

the rns-e was introduced when the canbus was already being used for infotainment therefore was designed to talk canbus rather than the old clk/data lines directly to the DIS

the older rns-d used separate wires for various bits of info such as the gala engine speed and used 2 wires to send info to the dash DIS, and used the switched 12v to tell it when to turn on/off with the radio and a feed from the lights to illuminate it.

the canbus tells the rns-e when the lights are on, when the iginition is on, data is sent to the DIS using the same canbus and also to talk to the bluetooth phone module and the mfsw controller etc etc - later models use the canbus for car speed as well for the gala function - speed dependent volume.

the older a6 version of the rns-e uses everything over canbus except for the speed which uses the same wire that feeds the rns-d - so this model is the best option for installing in an older a4 b5 model

if you do have canbus then the dash DIS will work and you can get the lights/on-off to work just by connecting the canbus. if you have no canbus in your display then the older DIS will not work and you would have to manually switch off the radio when leaving the car.

a canbus emulator takes the ignition and light feeds and creates a canbus signal that the rns-e can understand to turn on/off with the ignition and light up the rns-e when the headlamps go on - im not sure if it can export the DIS data out the other way to make a non-canbus dis display anything though.

ok.

dash inserts with a digital clock are allegedly canbus enabled - you would need to check further with this though

My guess is that if he has an RNS-D then he has a canbus cluster, only the RNS-C used the old clk/data/enable wires. The RNS-D connects through a can gateway (TMC) to the cluster.

Cheers Dunk and Craig. It does make sense to me now. I will investigate a little further, just to be sure.

sounds about right - particularly with the digital clock
so... fitting an rns-e should be ok but..

you need an a6 unit
you cant do a faceplate swap - there are no b5 a4 plates, you need to cut the bottom of the faceplate to fit the a4 aperture, but will have a small gap at the left and right.
you will need a quadlock adapter - try s8craig or www.kufatec.de but they differ - you need to specify if you have cd changer, bose, phone adapter etc.