a4 questions

Adam-D

Reaction score
i have a gamma unit in my car, im planning on fitting a aftermarket headunit and some speakers.

now, is my sysem bose? will i need adaption leads, or will it plug straight in?

what size are my front and rear door speakers?

and what is the best routing through the bulkhead for a amplifier power cable?

many thanks :)

You'll need adapters whatever you do, but an indication on what A4 you have would be helpful.
B5 - the fronts are 4" components with 1" tweeters
B6/B7 - 6.5" all round with 1" tweets.
All models require spacer rings in order to fit aftermarket units.
The HU will need a fascia adapter, RCA to mini ISO adapter and aerial amp adapter.

To run power prise the top off the ECU cover, leave the bolt at the back as it's impossible to remove without removing a load of other stuff. There's a spare grommet on the wiring entry you can feed a power cable through and inside the ECU cover there's a big hole that drops down into the drivers footwell.

thank you my car is a 1997 a4-avant
with a gamma casette stereo.

i know about the facia adaptor, its 2 small square's of plastic, thank you for the amp routing. the ariel amp im not too bothered about as i dont use the radio often, its mainly used for my cd's

just the speaker size and the iso adaptor i nned to be sure on now :)

Definately 4" units up front, not sure on the door speakers in the rear on an Avant.
You can fit 5.25" in the fronts but they need to be slim units no more than 55mm depth, and don't expect too much as they are screwed to a flimsy door card loosely clipped to the front doors which limits performance enormously.
If you pull the HU and see if you have a brown front speaker loom connected. If you do then you ave the non Bose system, if there is no speaker loom then you have Bose.
I wouldn't bother with trying to connect to the rear amp, just rewire the rears directly to the new HU. If you have Bose then you'll have to rewire all the speakers as then run off a seperate 4ch amp. You'll need to rewire back to the doors or pick up the feeds from the Bose amp. Don't try and still use the Bose amp as it's terrible.

i have removed the headunit.

i have 3 plugs, the bottom one "black" i figure it the live switched live earth etc
the middle on i figured is the speaker one "brown" but it seem to only have front left and front right wireing.
then there is a top plug which is 3 colors, i guess this is the signal for the rear speakers which i guess are preamped

is there a connector that i can plug into this to plug a std pioneer stereo straight into?

many thanks :)

You can buy an adapter which will allow you to take your rear RCA's and plug into the multicoloured rear amp feed, but you'd be better off just rewiring the rears to the brown ISO speaker loom and bypassing the rear amp. The Pioneer will be kicking out more than twice the power of the feeble Audi rear amp (which is only 2 x 20w) so to keep this in the chain will just compromise the sound and you'll have to fade to rear to balance the fronts.
If you can't be ***** to do that then the adapter is Autoleads PC9-404

how hard is it to run a set of speaker cabling into the rear doors?
what ideally needs to be removed?
is the door to car loom a multiplug? or its it just a bunch of wires floating in a bendy rubber grommet?

Audi is all plug and play and to run the wires in would be like any other car but you will be pushed to fit crossovers in the door as there is very little space there.

i think ill run new speaker wires throu, as using a audi 20w amp as opposed to 50 in the h/u and the speakers have are 90w rms, the amp will be hard pushed.
they are components too, im thining of having the crossover under the front seats, and runnong the wires for the mid and tweeter throu into the door.

Adam-D said:
im thining of having the crossover under the front seats, and runnong the wires for the mid and tweeter throu into the door.

Mate, depending on the size of your crossover, you can easily velcro it on inside your door card, i've just replaced mine not long ago, got components in the front door and a set of 6.5" infinitys in the rear door and there is less room in the front than the back door!
Like most people have said, its best to make your own speaker adaptor rings out of mdf, its a bit of a squeeze getting the front door cards back on but it does sound a lot lot better:icon_thumright:
My speakers are all wired direct to a pioneer head unit with 'proper' thick speaker cable and i've also left additional wiring in place for when i install my own stealth sub and amp, so i can run the whole caboodle off the amp(s).
Wiring to the rear door panels isn't too hard, the biggest pain is removing the b-pillar trim to get to the grommets to feed the cable into the doors,just be careful when removing as it just needs prising off very carefully, just lift one side of the trim gently until it 'frees' then carefully do the other side then it should just pop off.
Saying that mines a facelift b5, so not sure if the trim pieces in yours are just screwed on or not... good luck.:)

thanks, ill have a bash today. then im in work, then ill carry on over the weekend weather permitting

so it has to be 13cm spearker in the front doors.?
ill have to go buy some, components or just normal 2 ways?

Adam-D said:
ive bypassed the rear amp, is it possible to get components in the front doors

Yes mate, you should have components already but without the crossover just the in-line version, there is room for a standard crossover to be velcroed onto the doorcard, bit of trial and error is needed to find the right position so it doesnt hit the metal work on the door when replacing the door panel tho!:cool:

Will also add that i've still got the audi amp/sub working until i fit my own,just had to give it full gain on the sub output on the headunit so i could hear some sort of bass!(which isn't a lot!)

ive managed to so far strip the side trims out,
run sub/amp wires down the car, run new rear door speaker wires,
just have to strip the doors down and start on fitting the new door speakers and making mdf rings

just trying to decide weather to buy autoleads door adaptors for the speakers,

or attempt to make them out of mdf? and what thckness?

I'd make your own, the autoleads ones are crap, don't fit properly and flimsy. They are useful to use as templates for MDF ones though.

how thick do they need to be?
my components for the rear are infinity 6510cs
and same model but 13cm for the front doors