FactionOne

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
Hi Folks,

Just a quick one... I recently had a very flat battery on my B5 A4 and as a consequence the Concert stereo went to SAFE and surprise surprise the previous owner hasn't given me the code. So far I've not been down to Audi to have it sorted out, but I'm thinking it might just be easier to drop-in another HU that I have hanging around here.

So, my questions:

1) The car is late 98/early 99 - do I have to use the fascia adapter that is two blocks or can I get one of the tidier looking wrap-around ones and make it fit? (something similar to this - http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product.asp?product=19844 )

2) I've not had a good nosey yet - but I was wondering what the situation is regarding amplified rears? Is it likely that mine will be? (and will therefore need an adapter for that?) It's not Bose, but on my old A3 from around the same MY it had a basic Concert but that was amplified for the rears and that got me wondering...

Any help much appreciated, thanks in advance!

Rob.

1. No they only fit the B6, I know some people have used a Seat wraparound fascia adapter in an A3, but it would be trial & error on the B5 A4.
2. Yes the rears are amplified. You can either buy an adapter which will result in the fronts being twice as loud as the rears, or better still rewire the rears directly to the new HU.

Thanks mate :icon_thumright:

That's what I was afraid of, on both counts! The re-wiring of the amped-rears to the HU I'll just do though I guess, but having one of those fugly fascia adapters I'm not so happy about!

Another quick question for you then... Are the rears 6.5"? I think I might have some from the rear-quarters on my old A3 which might have to go in there if they are. They're nothing special but they've got to be better than the paper-cone nonsense that I assume is there as stock. Also what size are the fronts? (Realising I've got at least one amp knocking around here too (again nothing special - a Blaupunkt Velocity something or other at best) but I guess that's gotta be better than stock!)

(You see, I'm getting carried away again now - all I initially wanted was Radio 1 and 5 Live back!)

Thanks again bud,

Rob.

Yes the rears are 6.5" but they are an odd profile, so you'd need adapter rings to be able to fit anything else. The fronts are 4" components with 1" tweeters. If you want a dramtic improvement in quality then you really need to fit a small sub.

Cool, cheers!

I'll have to tread carefully if I'm going to put a sub in... I've not long got rid of the massive Vibe box I had in the A3 - I don't want to get carried away again! ...To be honest I value the boot space too mich now anyway.

Thanks again,

Rob

Justin you're a bad influence mate!

I'll bear that in mind if I do decide to put a sub in there though, but I don't think I'm going to be doing that just yet...

Cheers bud,

Rob.