headunit a4 b6

vw754

vorsprung Durch Technik
Reaction score
Hi all,got problem with aftermarket in-car dvd player/screen.Works ok in previous car but after fitting it into my 2002 a4 b6 theres a slight problem that i cant work out.....if i turn up volume (not very loud) at a reasonable volume, the sound starts to break up,its ok up to say volume number 13 but anything after it breaks up,its fitted by using original plugs in the car,ive had a few say its bad earth......been told original earth wire in car was ok for my original chorus headunit but this is more powerful 45 x 4.Any idea's?

Depends whether you have the Bose system or not and then what adapter has been used to link to the stock amp wiring.

its all connected ok,just noticed.....if i turn the fader to the rear the system works ok,its the front speakers giving the trouble,and my bass is on (-5) so its not as if im pushing too much bass.

AndyMac said:
If it's all connected OK then what was the question again?
Why does the sound break up? bass is low (-5) its the front speakers,because when i put fader to the rear sound is ok,why are the front speakers making sound break up when im not pushing bass into them?????

My headunit says minimum speaker......75 watt ! is this why the front speakers are cutting out? are my front speakers less wattage than 75 watt?I suggest the rear speaker are more powerful than the front as the rear's run via a factory amp.What this mean..?......''The impedance of the speakers is less than the rating for the system''.

My headunit says minimum speaker......75 watt ! is this why the front speakers are cutting out? when turned up? are my front speakers less wattage than 75 watt?I suggest the rear speaker are more powerful than the front as the rear's run via a factory amp.What this mean..?......''The impedance of the speakers is less than the rating for the system''.

That wouldn't cause them to break up, it would just eventually fry the voice coils over time. The stock speakers are designed to run off the 2 x 20w internal HU amp, the rears are exactly the same runnign off a seperate 2 x 20w amp.
Impedance would only be an issue if you have the Bose system, the Bose speakers are more powerful but 2 ohm impedance which if connected directly to the HU rather than through the Bose amp , will fry the HU and cause overloading i.e. trying to suck too much power from the HU.
Thus back to my original question - do you have Bose and how is the HU connected?

headunit is aftermarket ripspeed v710 dvd/screen connected with iso plugs and an adaptor so the rears work(speakers) original was non bose chorus hu.

Has to be the HU, if the Chorus unit worked OK - i.e. Ripspeed = very cheap & cheerful.
Refit the Chorus temporarily just to confirm the fronts work OK. If this is the case then it has to be the HU.