RNS-D retro fit, Need Help please

banannaboat

Reaction score
Hi all, hope you can help me out with my install of an RNS-D in a 2033 A4.

I've connected up my RNS-D with one of those plug-n-play harnesses off Ebay and everything works fine although I do get a TMC error when it boots up but believe this can be turned off with VAG-COM, however, the unit doesn't seem to know that I'm moving.

I can pick up 7 satellites and the map updates itself every so often but i get no vocal commands or any info as to the direction i need to travel, distance to next turn etc and have read that i need a speed signal from either the dash or ABS.

This is where I am stuck. All the install guides i've read give pin numbers to connect to behind the dash but on my car they are not where they should be unless i am missing something. At the moment I believe i need to connect 2 wires to pin21 of the green plug behind the clock and take these wires to the sat nav unit, one to pin 2 of block 3 and the other to pin 5 of the 24 block??? anyway, pin 21 is not present behind my dash.

So i turned to the ABS and according to the various guides online I should find a blue/white wire in a block connector behind one of the footwell kick panels - yet again, cannot find it. Am i missing something simple here?

I think it's a GALA speed signal I need?

Hope someone can help.

GALA isn't required to make the nav work, i have the GALA wire routed through a switch to disable it so i can watch TV on the move. the speed signal is there more to provide info to the nav if you enter a tunnel and lose the satellite reception

reading your post it seems that you've succesfully entered a destination and selected start navigation. at that point do you hear a message to say the route is being calculated?

does it show the selected route in blue on the map display?

is your location shown correctly in the display?

how far have you driven the car since fitting the nav?

As Dave indicated, Gala, combined with data from the steering angle sensor only adds continuity when the satelite signal is interrupted. Same applies to the reverse wiring which is not really needed either.
I think you only get direction arrows and the countdown bars in the instrument display if you have DIS and a TMC box. The can bus wiring from the back of the instrument panel is also required to make the TMC work.
I have heard that some of the plug and play harnesses are not always correctly wired so it would be worth checking yours against the pin out diagrams on one of the RNS-D web sites

Cheers Spike

yes it get to the point where it says "the route has been calculated" and it shows the route in blue and my location is spot on but then nothing else happens, no voice commands and the map changes now and again. I did get one vocal instruction when driving home from work and i noticed that there was more info on the screen (distance to next turn, eta, etc) but then it went silent again. I have probably driven about 10 miles with it on.

When i press the "info" button it says "your location is not on a digitised map".

I thought the navi+ needed a speed signal to know i was moving, maybe CANBus?

My plug-n-play harness has the additional button to turn off the GALA.

Perhaps all the wires are wrong, how will i know? where will i find the wires i need.

Please stop banging on about can bus and the RNS-D, you need the speed pulse wire from the cluster, buy a cluster repair wire and insert the pin into the cluster, simple as that. Sort that out and you will be ok.

OK, will shut up, but could you tell me what i need to buy from Audi, what pin number to stick it into behind the clocks and where to put the other end.

Then I will be silent...

Cluster repair wires... 000 979 009

Connector III repair wire .... 000 979 133

Gala Cluster connection is a white/blue wire

T32a - 32-pin connector, green, on dash panel insert

Pin 21 to

Pin 1 of .......

T8 - 8-pin connector, black, radio connector III

ABS speed signal can be obtained by looking at this page.

I think I told you on another forum to read this section.

http://www.nav-plus.com/a4b6abs.html

Thanks,

so i run a wire from pin21 of the green 32pin connector on the back of my dash to pin1 of the black 8pin connector on the back of the nav unit...simple

I did read that link but the blue/white ABS wire is not in the location he's talking about. For starters he's working on a left hand drive, mine is right hand drive, his pictures show about 8 blocks in the footwell, mine has 3, and the black block connector i do have in the footwell doesn't have the same wires as shown in the pictures, however, I do have a blue/white wire located there - just a different position.

can you guys have a look at my wiring and let me know what you think.

From everyones comments so far I believe i need to run a wire from pin 21 (green block) to pin 1 on the back of the navi unit and also piggy-back that to pin5 of the 26 pin connector also on the back of the navi unit. then either use the canh and canl wires already present in my wiring to the respective positions on teh 26 pin connector, or run wires from the clocks.

But what do i do with the CANB connection?

SATNAV1.jpg
SATNAV2.jpg
SATNAV3.jpg
SATNAV4.jpg

Now listen to me very carefully. If you had a symphony before then the CAN BUS is of no use to you what so ever unless you have a TMC module.

The only CAN BUS connections to the RNS-D are on pin 13 & 26 of the 26 pin connector and they got to the TMC module, which in turn connects to those two CAN BUS wires in your loom. Now as you said you don't have a TMC unit in another forum, then stop worrying about them.

The RNS-D uses Bosch CAN BUS
The symphony uses Infotainment CAN BUS
The TMC module translates from one to the other.

OK, OK, OK, i get the message now:respekt::thumbsup:

so i just hook up the GALA wire from the back of the dash (pin21)to:

pin1 of the black 8pin connector (labelled GALA)
and pin5 of the 26pin connector (labelled DFA_L)

and job done! foret everything else, end of, come back another day.

SATNAV4b.jpg

ok, i connected up the wire but its still the same so I give up!

does anyone wanna buy an RNS-D? cause it's going on Ebay at the weekend, complete waste of time.

I take it back! something seemed to happen this morning, it sprang into life and gave me some voice commands from the word go (although completely wrong), it started to display the time and distance on the main screen but again once i start moving nothing else happens.

I've had a good look at the map and no matter where i am it thinks i'm parked on my drive, i could be 4 miles away at work and it still thinks i'm at home. Then after a short wile it will move the map to where I am but the route begins back at my home.

Sounds like i'm getting somewhere so i've decided to give it another go.

How do i know where it thinks i am on the map?

Has anyone got any ideas?

Are you certain you have a good GPS reception?

Are you anywhere near Manchester, maybe I could have a look at it for you?

I'm real close to Manchester (Wrexham/Chester). I would really apreciate you having a look for me! would even pay you!

From what I've read about the GPS signal so long as you pick up 3 sats then it will work. I've had the settings screen up while driving round showing the satellites available and received and it fluctuates from 5 - 8 no matter where i am. I have the antenna sitting on the dash (it was behind the panel on the side of the dash) and there's no difference.

Could it be something else?

The model of the unit is: 8E0 035 192 B
and the map disc is the Blaupunkt Tele Atlas 2007 DX version which says it's compatable with Audi Navi+ v4

so i think all the equipment is correct.