Little advise please with my A4 Avant ICE Install

bahnstormer

Croozin
Reaction score
Website
www.capitalhighways.com
Audiophiles HELP!

I've read through just about every thread in this ICE forum! I've had a few queries answered, but I still need to ask a couple of questions...

Never one to do things by halves, I decided (rather rashly in hindsight) to completely overhaul the ICE in my Avant.

I have a B5 2.8 Quattro model without BOSE and, initially, the install came about as the OE headunit was not compatible with a boot changer.

So, out came the OE HU and the sub in the rear passenger quarter panel.

Right, that's the background, now to where I've got to.
I have a Sony HU (not liked much by this forum I know) I have four channel pre-outs and I've laid pre-out cables down the passenger side of the car. These terminate into an amp which is now mounted where the OE sub was located. Additional pre-outs from that amp go to a second amp to power a 12" sub.

I have run new speaker wire to all four doors being careful to keep the driver's side free ready for the amp's power supply.

I have some component Alpine speakers with crossovers for the front doors and will be purchasing suitable speakers for the rear doors in due course. For the time being I'm using the OE ones.

Ok, now to my queries (if you've read this far then I'm most grateful you have persevered!

1/ I really can't find any way of getting a power cable through from the engine bay, without drilling a fresh hole in the bulkhead. Have I missed something? The V6 is huge in the engine bay and there's little access apparent. I was thinking of drilling through underneath the pollen filter to enter the car behind the valeo fan. But, I'd then have to take the cable across the car in the dash to take it down the drivers side! Not something I'm too keen on. Any suggestions?

2/ I haven't brought an Autoleads harness adaptor for the HU as I only need to connect two wires (I've made a fresh ground) Basically, I only need to connect to a +ive supply and the switch. Do I need to connect the antenna power supply cable to anything? and do I need to connect either of my +ive wires to more than one wire in the OE harness?
Any help or suggestions will be gratefully received.

Sorry about the essay!

Hello Andy and Speedy.

Thank you for your input. I'm pleased to say that the instal is now complete!

I have four channel pre-outs navigating their way down the passenger side of the car, new speaker cable to all doors, upgraded Alpine component front speakers, OE rears. I fed the power cable, as speedy suggested, through the ecu box***. Power then runs down the drivers side (4AWG) to a terminal block under the rear seat. Two 8AWG cables run to the main amp and the sub's amp.

Pre-out from the main amp runs to the sub's amp.

I have managed to keep the audio and power cables completely separate. Where they pass, at the 'A' and 'B' pillars on the drivers side, the cables cross perpendicular to one another.

I'll try to upload a couple of pictures.

I'm really pleased with the massive improvement in sound quality, although I haven't as yet balanced everything properly.

This forum has been an invaluable resource and I appreciate the input from members to help me resolve my particular issues.

Thanks again

Derek

*** As a side issue, would you suggest I put some form of shield through the ecu box to protect the ecu from the juice running through the power cable?

Hmmm. Yes a fair comment. It was a case of function over form as I frequently have to carry big loads in the back and I needed to remove the sub to do this. I've also tried to put a system in that hasn't damaged any of the original trim so that, should I choose to, I could return the car to its factory state prior to selling it. I mounted the amp onto the sub with some rubber grommets to try to absorb some of the vibration, and I'm not such a bass-head that the thing is kicking 24/7.
I'm still in two minds over whether or not to remove the amp and place it on the wheelarch trim.
Any other comments from other members would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks technobod, for raising this issue.