Left channel distorted

Stringster

Missed gear
Reaction score
I've had some problems with a crackly left speaker before, but could always seem to clear it with a blast of volume. Now it seems the whole left side is distorted - front and rear speaker. The right channel is very quiet and also a bit distorted. However, when I switch to CD channel and play my iPod it clears and sounds fine.
I have had a look at the wiring and couldn't see anything out of place, but to my mind as it is fine on CD channel it must mean the head unit is faulty - ???

This happened on 2 of the 3 A4s I've had. I just put it down to dodgy wiring, but there has been some suggestion that the terminals were shorting out on the door itself (though I've no idea if they are anywhere near for this to happen).

If it works OK on CD then it can't be wiring or amp related. Must be a radio antenna problem.

Actually today there was an intermittent buzz over the left channel on the CD channel. Not as bad as radio/tape but going to replace the HU anyway so will see if that cures it.

Yes, same problem here. Only on the left hand speaker now and again. I have just replaced the head unit for an RNS-E and guess what, the problem is still there. I think it must be wiring as it only seems to be on the front passenger speaker. :think: