New System No Reception

Scratch-Addict

Reaction score
Hello all, this is my first post so bear with me if I've missed something.

I have just had fitted an Alpine HU with seperate ipod interface, which I had in my old car, to my 03 A3 130 TDi.

Having driven the car away, i've noticed 2 problems. Firstly, and most annoyingly, the reception is quite poor to the extent that the stereo won't pick up stations on either DX Seek or Local seek, and I have to search manually.

Secondly, the ignition doesn't control the power to the stereo, i.e. I have to turn the stereo on and off manually.

By the way I'm not to good with lots of pretty coloured lights!!!!

Any suggestions please,

Tim :keule:

Standard Audi unit has a reception signal booster, you'll need an aftermarket one. You can get one here http://www.nexxia.co.uk/index.html or most decent ice shops.

Second prob is they have wired it in wrong, prob just connected the switchable live up to the battery live, lazy way to do it really.

Russ

Cheers Russ Ill have a look and if I can't suss it out, I'll take it back to the fitters

If your A3 is a later model 02 onwards then it won't have an ignition on feed at the HU. The stock HU is controlled by the CANBUS, which won't work with aftermarket units. If this is the case then you'll have to wire in an additional feed either from the fusebox or steering column to tell the HU when the ignition is on/keys out etc.

Oh also, does it hold radio station memory etc?

Reason I ask is that a lot of people (although not many professional installers) quite often get the ignition and battery leads mixed up, unlikley though as you to ok it to an installer.