Installing Sony Mex-BT5k into A3

LT Smash

Reaction score
Hey people

First time poster here.

Got myself a second hand '03 A3 (absolutely lovely car)

And am looking to put a Sony MEX BT5000 into it replacing the Audi Concert radio that is in there at present. I got the Sony already and also have the removal keys for the concert radio. I realised today that I need a Facia panel and was told by my local Car Audio shop that I needed a FP-18-00 (I cant put in the link cause i havent made two posts) The shop tried the one for 03 Audi's an onwards but it didnt work as my car is an early 03 and thus needs the older Facia panel.

So is this all I need to install this radio into the A3 or am I missing something? Are there any online step by step tutorials for installing this specific radio into an a3? Has anyone on here done so?

Thanks for your help

regards
Luke

Cheers for the reply AndyMac, is it a complicated process, I have no experience so should I just leave it to the pro's and pay them the sixty quid or whatever that he's asking for?

Do it yourself, that way you know it's been done properly.
For £60 most installers know very little about the peculiarities on the Audi systems so you could end up with issues.

Cheers Andy, the problem is I know very little about the peculiarities of Audi :)

I'll order the antenna amp adapter and RCA input adapter now anyway.

Also is their any irish shops, either land based or online where I can get the above can anyone tell me?

edit: I got it off http://www.incarexpress.co.uk/ who also deliver from ireland to ireland.

The parts came from incarexpress, even though the facia plate still hasnt arrived I decided to check if I could fit the parts together and maybe even get the radio working.
I came up against a few problems and have taken some pictures.

First things first a part (picture A) that arrived with the pc9-404 smart lead didnt fit as there is no where to put it on the sony radio.
Pictue A

Luckily the guy that I bought the radio off enclosed a part which he had (he doesnt drive an audi or VW) which works grand problem solved.
The connection would have to fit into the red circled thing (1) on picture B.

Also I dont know what is supposed to go into 2 and 3 which are circled on Picture B.

Picture B (back of sony radio)
[/url]

I dont know where to put the connection in Picture C. This connected to the mustard looking connection in Picture D.

Picture C

Picture D (Back of Audi Concert Radio)

I dont know what to do with any of the blue wires. One comes from the antenna iso adapter and one also with the pc9-404 smart lead(Picture E)

Also I dont know what to do with the blue leads in Picture F, these come from the connection which goes from 1 on Picture B.

Picture F

Picture G is another blue connection this time its one connection ie. the thing on the left is the opposite end to the thing on the right as opposed to the blue leads in Picture F which both come from the same connection.

Pictue G

I presume all the blue leads are some type of power connections but it looks like I have at least two to connect that are connected to other things that are already connected (confused?):wtf:

I hope this makes sense and any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Sorry didn't realise your 2003 A3 was an 8P chassis, assumed it was the old shape. The mustard connector is the aerial, which won't fit the aerial amp you have. You need to swap it out for the new style Fakra type adapter.
http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/fakra-aerial-adaptor-p-5632.html
The flying lead needs to connect to the power antenna connection on the Sony HU. As does the blue lead on the PC9-404, or the remote on output from the HU.
Basically these 2 blue connections need a 12v feed to power them, which turns on/off with the HU, one to power the antenna amp and one to switch the rear amp on.

Could you point out to me which is the power connection antenna please? Picture B is the back of the sony head unit,

by the looks of the dash vents and heater controls, that is a 8L andymac, not an 8P.

Madvw you are correct I just went through some documentation and it is an 8L.

Am I right in thinking im best off just leaving it to the audio guys, cause when I went down first time he didnt think there'd be a problem once I get the facia plate. Also with regards to the mustard bit being the antenna then what is the bit above the mustard thing in Picture C, I had connected that to the Pc5-52 and then to my sony and the pieces seemed to fit.

Well that's what I thought, but haven't seen the new style aerial connection used on any 8L models.
Actully looking again at the pic, you have 2 aerial connections, so you could probably still just use the standard Euro antenna adapter and just ignore the Fakra one.
LT, you need to refer to the Sony manual for the power antenna connection. No way of telling without the manual as that's not a standard ISO connector on the back. It'll be a blue wire with a white stripe on the sony plug/harness

They are both antenna. You need the adapter as andymac says so that you get the +12v to the aerial amplifier.

In pictire F, i hazzard a guess that the blue wire labelled ATT is the mute wire for when connecting a phone kit, and the other is a remote-power for connecting to external amplifiers.

As for the back of the Sony HU, do you have the sony harness that plugs into the the back? The sony haness then splits into 2 iso connectors, which plug into the adapter harness, which them plugs into the OEM harness...

Yes I have that and it all fitted into place. So now I guess the only thing I need now is the adapter that AndyMac was talking about? Will the blue wires attach into this adapter?