JMB RetrofitsVolks Autos
    Reverse Gear

Status

aftermarket stereo help req

hi

i am just writing to see if anyone can help, (realise this is a real newbie question). i have just bought an s3 1999 v reg but it came without a stereo as the previous owner wanted to keep his as it was an aftermarket thing, he dindt have the original one either, so i was going to buy one to use with an ipod, which i have not yet bought, my question is when looking for a HU i have just been making sure it is ipod controlled at the HU, if the sound comes from the ipod, through the HU and out of my bose speakers, does it make much difference what quality HU i get, ie what difference is there between spending 100.00 to say 300.00 on a head unit. sorry if this is really stupid

cheers rob

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    the main differance at this price range is features
    i doubt anyone would be able to tell the differance between a good 100 unit and a good 1500 unit

the head unit is only part of a system theres also amps and speakers to consider which if chosen carefully will give a lot more improvement than simply changing the head unit
    2003 pearlescent black s4 avant tiptronic - milltek exhaust - pre cats removed - remapped ...
    koni adjustable suspension front and rear
    alpine f1 dvi9990 -pxah990 headunit and processor - alpine d511r
    4 x focal 5ws midbass drivers - focal audiom 6w midrange - focal tce tweeters - velodyne df 12 sc servo controlled subwoofer
    3 x phoenix gold zpa 0.5 amplifiers