Need Guidance with Concert 1, bad install?

xeryus

Reaction score
Hi there, new to the forum here... great site, very informative. I've no previous experience with AUDI sound systems, but some with other cars, limited to upgrading to aftermarket HUs and amps though, nothing too technical.

Just bought an A3 Quattro 3 door, year is 2000.

When viewing the car before sale, it had an ipod HU with a screen, but the guy didn't want to include it. He said he would just put the Concert HU back in, which he did. It has a 6 CD changer in the boot, also a BOSE amp on other side of boot. The HU has a tape deck on it, and when powered up, it displays BOSE in the display.

First thing I noticed was the eject button on the changer doesn't do anything, not even a sound inside. I assumed the guy hadn't connected it up to the HU. Wrong assumption? - I dont know.

Then, regarding the sound from the radio (great reception but sounded odd), I noticed the front passenger side main (lower) speaker had no sound, but that the little one further up on the door with higher freq did. The opposite is true of the driver door, with the smaller speaker not producing sound, but the main speaker works. So, with the imbalance noted, I checked in the back, and you could say the main (lower) speakers have the same problem, only the other way round.

In short, I can hear left and right, but left in the back, right in the front, and one small (mid-range?) speaker working front-left.

I also notice there are tweeters front and rear-side of the door piller (at the top) and these don't produce any sound.

The sub in the back is working. There are no parcel-shelf speakers. I count 10 speakers + sub, should they all be working? I only have 3 working, as described above.

The following controls on the HU have no effect at all - balance, fader, bass and treble, is this due to the BOSE set-up, and in that case of no matter?

I have just ordered HU removal tools off ebay, so I am awaiting those. I thought I would whip the HU out, and have a look at what's behind, and what HASN'T been connected properly.... although I've tried looking over this board and some other googled areas, I'm not sure what I' going to find.

Does anyone here recognise these symptoms (obviously I want to get the changer working and have a balanced sound throughout) and could tell me, or hazard a guess at, what the previous owner has done here?

I will get right onto it when the keys come, and hopefully have a clue how to root the problems out.

Thanks in advance.

Hi & Welcome.
The Bose system only has 2 tweeters and they are in the front doors.
Speakers in total = 6 plus 2 in the sub. There are no speakers in the door pillars, those little grills are for the ultrasonic alarm.
All the cabin speakers run off the Bose amp in the boot with the sub running off a seperate amp inside the tupperware enclosure.
CD Changer
- check the cable is plugged in at the back of the cubbyhole. Theres a plug in a very inaccessible place which should be clipped to the bodywork right at the back of the cubbyhole (towards the front of the car) beyond the rear seat belt reel. As the changer doesn't work with any other HU then chances are the previous owner took it out then just bolted it back in to sell the car and couldn't be ***** to plug in the bus cable.
If the tweeters are working then there must be a signal going to the front speakers as they run off the same cable, so it won't be a fault with the amp.
You'll need to remove the doorcards to see if the connection is good.
Probably just a simple fix.
The Bose setup does limit the effect of Bass & treble but they should still have some impact. You can switch the HU to non Bose mode by cutting the earth wire going to the Bose pin on the back of the HU. This will drastically improve the response of the Bass & Treble controls.
Take a pic of the wiring at the back of the HU so we can see what he's done.
Could be something horrible like butchering the non standard Audi wiring.

Thanks for the welcome, Andy.
Ok, I got it about the number of speakers now, and thanks for the pointer on the ultrasonic alarm in the pillars. 4 speakers less to worry about!

Got it about the BOSE amp running all the cabin speakers, and the sub running off an amp in the casing around the sub (the tupperware enclosure?).

CD changer - I have checked the plug you mentioned and it is connected. It is clipped to the bodywork where you said it would be. It still doesn't work. The previous owner did say he had never used it, although he didn't mention having ever disconnected it. Some other solution?

Ouch! Removal of door cards and a back panel! Yes, I suppose that should rule the connections out.

Quote: The Bose setup does limit the effect of Bass & treble but they should still have some impact. You can switch the HU to non Bose mode by cutting the earth wire going to the Bose pin on the back of the HU. This will drastically improve the response of the Bass & Treble controls.

Ok, thanks for that. Does it mean that the controls will start to work, ie show something up in the display, if the earth wire is cut? I have no idea what to expect the controls to actually do - they don't have increase/decrease - just a button that does absolutely nothing - no change in sound, nothing in display. Yes, I really don't know how to even use the HU yet. Maybe I'll wait and see what it sounds like before considering that, as I thought maybe it was connected with the speakers not working.

I will take a pic and post it when I get behind there really soon, sorry I can't do it until the keys come. See you soon.

CD changer - you need to see what he's done at the back of the HU before anything else.
When you say a button that does nothing - you are talking about the rotary control in the middle of the radio?
This "volume" knob controls everything, so you have to press the Bass button then adjust it with the rotary volume knob, same for all the others.

Ok I'll wait and see regarding the CD changer.

Yes, they are effectively dead buttons. The rotating wheel doesn't alter the effect of any of those mentioned buttons when pressed once, or held down. All the wheel does is alter the volume. Could it be this is the BOSE effect? The idea that the EQ is set in Bose mode, and no further adjustments can be made? Or is this just wrong? Not complaining, as long as it isn't connected with the speakers not working, or a symptom of something else.

Thanks for your continued time. I'm very glad to have someone to help point the way.

No even in Bose mode all the controls should work. Looks like you have a duff HU I'm afraid. There is a design flaw on all Audi HU's which results in totally erratic volume control, but never heard of the Bass/Treble/Fader not working properly or at all.
So when you press Bass does it change the display?
Or is it that you get the current Bass setting on the display but just can't alter it?

when i press bass it doesn't alter the display. same with the others that are around the rotating wheel.

Do any of the other buttons not work? or is it just the sound controls?
There is a DIY fix for sticky buttons, but it's unlikely all four buttons would display the same fault, maybe worth a try to take it apart and clean up the PCB but I think it is more likely the pcb has a fault affecting all the controls.
If you scroll to the bottom of this link it shows you how to take apart the front control panel, but not for the feint hearted.
http://www.carstereohelp.com/audi.htm#Audi A4 / A6

As far as I can tell it is just those sound controls. Of all the buttons on the front plate, they are the ones without diodes. There are some buttons to the right which maybe only have a function in a certain mode... just gonna check...

yes, dolby, RD, CPS on the right don't seem to have any function (in radio mode, and having no tapes handy, I can't check tape mode). Dolby is for tapes, right? Haven't a clue what RD or CPS are. The MODE button is in that section and that works.

Every other button works, all the station selection buttons, the scan and search, the RDS, the AM and FM, the TP.

Is this plot thickening?

Just got back from the garage - I had managed to flatten the battery, so jump started the car and went to get it checked out.

I asked the guy to take the HU out and have a look - and we found this -

So, whatever it is, it's out - and the system now works!!! Every issue I posted about, solved.

No matter about the fiver it cost me, the guy checked the battery out which I couldn't believe had flattened - just needs charging and watching apparently.
It saved me 2 minutes taking this out next week, and I can listen to decent sound over the weekend.

Thanks Andy for your help, you're a diamond. Now where is your pay button?

Ahhh, they left in the speaker input adapter that was used for the aftermarket HU. That would explain a lot.
Put it on ebay you should get £20 for it.
No idea how that messed up your bass/treble controls, but it would certainly account for the speaker issues as the stock HU only has front speaker output, so you'd only be getting half of the sub (as it works on one front channel and one rear channel). Also you lose the changer connection when you use that adapter as aftermarket HU's don't work with the stock changer.
And you'll also lose the DIS radio display.
Glad it was such an easy & cheap fix