A3/S3 Symphony 2

S3Steve

Reaction score
Im still having problems with my Symphony 2 head unit, the cd changer part of unit is displaying cd error 3 which is a mechanism fault. I have bought an A6 unit off ebay that was advertised as brand new, i plugged this into my car and it appeared to work at first but when i tried to load cd's into it it has come up with the same error 3. This has left me unsure as to wether i have two faulty units or if i have done something stupid when rewiring my top connector of the unit to install my stealth sub.
When installing my andy mac stealth sub i had to repin my top plug as i have the solid type so was unable to just plug in the mini iso adaptor, to convert to rca's. i know i have repinned the line out connector as this part works perfectly, i just want to confirm i have done the can part of the connector right (i'm fairly sure i have but just want to rule it out). I currnetly have a wire going to Can L and a wire to Can H, but nothing connected to CD-GND, can someone with this same setup please confirm this is correct.

I thought the middle part of the 20 pin top connector was just for the DIS feed, so wouldn't have thought this could possibly effect the CD functionality.
Did the error on the original Symphony exist before you did the rewiring, or has this only just occurred?
I've had plenty of Audi HU's wired up on the bench without anything connected other than power and they worked no problem but admittedly not a Symphony.

Yeah Andy thats what i thought too, just trying to definately rule it out. Problem only appeared after i did the rewiring, maybe its just a coincidence, its just having bought another symphony, that was advertised as new that appears to have the same fault, im wondering if its something ive done to the wiring. The pin out diagram on the top of the unit has a pin labelled as CD-GND that im fairly sure never had a wire to it, just want to confirm it doesnt as im beginning to doubt myself.

Is the diagram like this one?
symphonyII_pin-1.jpg

I managed to have a look at a friends A4 today and it appears the CD-GND pin is for an external changer, glovebox 6 disc in his case. I also plugged in both Symphony units i have into his car and they came up with the same Error 3, so it appears mine is definately u/s and so is the one i got off ebay that was advertised as new.

Ive now sent the first A6 unit i bought back for a refund and bought another one which works fine. What i have done is remove the facia of my original S3 unit and fit it onto the A6 unit Ive purchased and it works perfectly. So if you get a fault on your symphony that isnt to do with the facia you can buy another symphony from a similar age audi (a3,a4 or a6) and just swap the facias over.