A4 avant sub and amp

livlee1

Reaction score
Once all my goodies arrive,im ripping out everything audi and replacing it all, putting in a 5.25" component set in the front doors, not yet ordered rear door speakers but been told 5.25" also will fit with correct adaptors.
My main question is before i rip the boot to bits is the sub in the boot(behind the left hand trim panel) which is believe 6.5" and is bolted to the amp, once all this is removed will there be enough room to mount a 8 or 10" sub in an enclosure and keep it all hidden?
And is there room behind the right hand side to do the same?

Any help will be great, thanks..:icon_thumright:

Heh heh. Will tell you later mate, I am just about to rip the rear panels off to find out myself in a bit.
Will take some pictures I think.

There definately is in the B6 Avant as that's exactly what I did, MDF enclosure on one side using a 6.5 or 8" sub and 4ch Alpine V12 on the other.

bobbler said:
Heh heh. Will tell you later mate, I am just about to rip the rear panels off to find out myself in a bit.
Will take some pictures I think.

cool, should have said mines a b5 avant, let us know what you find mate,i'll probably do mine next weekend once all the goodies turn up..

Initial investigation is that you should be able to get a small sub box in there on the left hand side cubby.
Unfortunately I have hit a snag with mine, the handle to release the back seat down snapped off (looks like it had been glued in place to be honest where it had been snapped before) so couldn't get all the panel off. I havent got a clue how to release the seat without it and not sure if even a new handle will release it as there seems to be no movement in the part underneath either :(

However I think for me personally I may use the existing sub box and butcher it up a bit OR use it for the fibreglass template for the new box. I am going to measure its volume first though to see if it would be alright for the RE8 sub I am putting in its place.

The amp I have to go in is now way going to fit though in that side if I want to have the sub performing in a proper sized enclosure.
You mileage may vary there though as mine is a bit on the larger side being a 3 channel DLS amp.

Took one of the rear door panels off today and the speakers are 6.5" which is a bonus. so am going to run the front components and my new sub off a 4 channel amp and the rear door speakers off the HU.

Do you have to swap the perm and switched live over in the audi loom when you connect it up to the other loom??

i couldnt get a decent sub box to fit the left cubby of the b5 avant, so i made a semicircle sub for the wheel well - the other half has the audi tyre inflator. it has a volume of about 22L internal and uses a jbl 8" sub in a reflex config.

i put an alpine 5 channel amp in the left cubby hole where i took out the bose stuff and there is room there for my phatnoise as well.

if you ditch the audi tyre inflator or spare and keep a can of tyre-weld, you could get a really good sized stealth sub in the wheel well - i reckon it would be about 35L internal vol.

i cut an opening in the boot floor cover and hot-glued some black metal grille material into the hole to protect the speaker.