A3 (8P) - Bose Sub?

A3Andy

Reaction score
Evening everyone, first post here!

I've got an A3 (8P) and have opted for the the Bose upgrade, ive already changed the Headunit for bluetooth handsfree model, now i'm looking to add a bit more bass to the system, in the form of a decent sub. Question is, does the Bose upgrade on the 8P come with a sub in the back quarter like the 8L did? If so, how do i go about disconnecting it?

Also another slight annoyance with my new headunit, i'm getting a lot of electrical interferance when the lights/indicators are used, which generally gets louder, the faster the engine revs. Does the standard Bose headunit have a heavy duty supressor or something?

Yes the 8L has a sub just like the older model. It's in the left rear cubbyhole, just unplug it.
AudiA38PBosesub.jpg

How is the new HU connected to the Bose amp?
You can either use RCA input or speaker input. Speaker input uses a hi-lo converter to bring the signal back to pre-out level and can cause interference. Having said that the RCA method is not without it's problems. It's not the HU it's the bizarre input stage on the Bose amp.
Either way I'd start with strapping a decent earth lead to the chanssis of the HU and ground it somewhere good behind the glovebox as the Audi earth is pretty feeble.

Ahh nice and hidden away there then, will have a look at getting that removed/unplugged when i get a new sub. I have no idea how the New HU is connected to the Bose AMP tbh, i know the new wiring harness was adapted for the Bose set up, and incorporated RCA's so that must be it.

I'll start with a better earth and see if that makes any difference ;)

That looks like my picture above ?

The Bose amp is rather feeble too and behind the oposite panel.

In the end as the space isn't there for anything decent I left mine in situ ( safe enough place to store them as any) and went IB with a couple of 7" sub in place of the rear speakers.

The amps are in the spare wheel well and I carry a couple of cans of tyre moose.

Paul

Good plan, i was thinking of removing that sub entirely, removing the spare wheel and putting some kind of sub in there. Anyone done something like that yet?

Haven't been able to find any custom boxes which is pretty lame.

Good plan, i was thinking of removing that sub entirely, removing the spare wheel and putting some kind of sub in there. Anyone done something like that yet?

Haven't been able to find any custom boxes which is pretty lame.

ive made a custom enclosure for my wheel well
but unfortunatly cant post pics

AndyMac said:
Yes the 8L has a sub just like the older model. It's in the left rear cubbyhole, just unplug it.

I´m guessing you mean that the 8P has a sub just like..

Do you know if the connector for the sub still has the same wireing?
Most of the ICE installers I´ve spoken to seem to have no idea.

They´ve told me to wipe out everything - but I like the bose sound.
And the HU with steering wheel remote.
I just want a little bit more bass.

You should contact Autoleads and make them produce the AndyMac S3 > RCA sub connector /w remote.

Stockholm said:
I´m guessing you mean that the 8P has a sub just like..

Do you know if the connector for the sub still has the same wireing?
Most of the ICE installers I´ve spoken to seem to have no idea.

The Bose Sub is powered by the Bose Amp behing the trim panel on the otherside of the car. So on the 8P the sub only has speaker level connections.

You wouldn't believe how small the 6 channel Bose amp is.

Paul

So you'd need to pick up the pre-outs going to the 6ch Bose amp and use these to feed the new amp/sub