Badger5JMB Retrofits

Thread: RNS-E Crash

1st Gear

Status

RNS-E Crash

Went to see Craigyb to sort out my RNS-E coding on Saturday (thanks Craig - top man ). He mentioned that there is a known issue with SW 0550 that causes the unit to crash/freeze when certain key combinations are used. I found this interesting as it had happened to me a few times; the unit locks completely and won't even reset using the on/off switch reset procedure. It only clears when the ignition has been left switched off for a while.

I wondered whether anyone has had the same problem? Craig says there is a new software update that fixes things (SW 0600). Has anyone with this had any "crashes" since installing it?
    I wouldn't be so paranoid if everyone wasn't out to get me......

Spook's Silv3r Ghost - with Recaro bucket seats - is here!

2. # ADS
    ADS

aka dazzler

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Spook
    Went to see Craigyb to sort out my RNS-E coding on Saturday (thanks Craig - top man ). He mentioned that there is a known issue with SW 0550 that causes the unit to crash/freeze when certain key combinations are used. I found this interesting as it had happened to me a few times; the unit locks completely and won't even reset using the on/off switch reset procedure. It only clears when the ignition has been left switched off for a while.

I wondered whether anyone has had the same problem? Craig says there is a new software update that fixes things (SW 0600). Has anyone with this had any "crashes" since installing it?
    Sort of.....

My unit appear to 'lock up' at the S3 MMI screen when starting up recently. The DIS said 'MP3 Load' and it wouldn't respond to anything.
    I was in Nav mode. No buttons worked at all. After about 5minutes it came back to life.

This has only happened once (so far).

I've got 2x4Gb cards in and sometimes the load is instant - other times I get a blank 'MP3 Card X' listing when I'm on the MP3 display and starting up.

I'm not overly worried at the moment - but intend to keep an eye on it.
    If there is an update I hope it's covered under warranty....
    Current: '14 8V S3 3dr S-tronic, Estoril blue, 5 yr warranty, B+O, Comfort pack, Heated/ foldable/dimming mirrors, Hill hold assist, Int. light pack, LED headlights, Lumbar, mono.pur, Park system plus - front + rear, Privacy glass, Technology pack - high, TPMS.
    Past:
    '07 8P S3, Sprint Blue, RNS-E, BOSE, 6CD, armrest, int light pack, lumbar, light/rain pack, folding/dimming mirrors, parking sensors, flat bottomed wheel
    '02 8L S3, Silver

6th Gear

Status
    I run SW550 and hav sen a few lockups. It usually happens first thing on a morning, if I switch to nav and press the map button the unit freezes. It can be reset using the two button, I forget the combination ;( reset method. Would like to try SW600 to see if that provides a fix.

Regards, John.

6th Gear

Status
    Think the reset is holding the radio and setup buttons.

Very interested in the SW600 software to see if anything if different and the few bugs have been fixed like the shuffle option on the cd/mp3 going off if any keys are pressed!

Craig, any details?
    NOW - Audi S3 Facelift - Sprint Blue, RNS-E Sat Nav, SDS, Bluetooth Phone Prep, Bose, Cruise, Buckets, FBMFSW, Adaptive Lights, Int Light Pack, Tyre Pressure Monitor, Piano Black Inserts, Through Load, Auto Dim RV Mirror/Wing, Auto Wipers/Lights, Folding Door Mirrors, Heated Seats, Ipod Dock, Front Arm Rest, Rear/Front Parking Sensors, 1st Aid Kit, Rear Arm Rest, H + R Springs, Front 15mm Spacers, Rear 10mm Spacers.

4th Gear

Status
    Yep mine has frozen on a few occasions.

Status
    Interesting - my 0550 has done this several times too. And it's exactly as JohnS3 described it; you can access everything with no problem, but when you go to Nav and then press map, it freezes.

However, when it has done this on a long journey, it has recovered after around 15-20 minutes and then functions normally. The other strange thing is that if you're listening to MP3s or radio, the playback carries on as normal.
    2004 A3 Sportback 2.0TDI SE, RNS-E Sat Nav SW0650 TMC, 17" Star Alloys, Xenons, DIS, Rear Mats & Sunblind, Alu trim, Ebony Black pearlescent
    2006 Honda Accord EX i-CTDI, Arctic Blue, Leather, Sat Nav, XCarLink

1st Gear

Status
    Try updating to 0600. It may cure all the problems

I am running i and have had no crashes.

57 Plate Imola Yellow S3