RNS-E Map Pointer Lag

Spook

Reaction score
I have just retrofitted a 2004 RNS-E unit to my new S3.

When the unit is in map view, and I am doing over 30mph, I have noticed that the pointer lags behind where the car is on the road, e.g. it shows me passing junctions several yards after I have passed them. At about 30mph or below (or in zoom view of junctions or roundabouts, when I am decelerating anyway) the pointer seems accurate.

Could anyone confirm whether the pointer lag issue I have described is a normal characteristic of all RNS-E's? If not, could the reason be that mine is an older model with a slower processor and therefore slower screen refresh rate? Would a 2007 model RNS-E be faster?

Have you made any coding changes using VAG.COM? There's definitely a setting in there to specify wheel rim dimensions which you need to get right. CAn't remember what function number it is. It'll be listed at navplus.us for sure. The RNS-E uses a combination of satellites and information from the ABS system to lock on to your locaiton. If you're in a tunnel, it'll take a speed reading from the ABS for example.

HTH

Gary

galewis said:
Have you made any coding changes using VAG.COM? There's definitely a setting in there to specify wheel rim dimensions which you need to get right. CAn't remember what function number it is. It'll be listed at navplus.us for sure. The RNS-E uses a combination of satellites and information from the ABS system to lock on to your locaiton. If you're in a tunnel, it'll take a speed reading from the ABS for example.

HTH

Gary
Yes, I did make some coding changes, but they're clearly not yet all quite right as I'm getting error codes including "Control Module Incorrectly Coded". However, the wheel rim dimension is one of the things that I'm pretty sure that I have got right.

Nobody has said whether my apparent problem is out of the ordinary yet!

Mine definitely does not do this. The position is always accurate. Well I say always, unless there are dirty great clouds overhead and I'm only getting 3 satellite fixes, then it can be a little behind.

I'm certain the problems you have are down to coding.

Can you post the coding you have for the following modules

17 - Steering Wheel
56 - Navigation system

STG 56 Channel 1 is the place to put the tire dimension. If you set it to 0 it will self calibrate over time.

Mine sometimes lags, usually in built-up areas, and it's also never been coded so perhaps there's a bit of a theme here!

Its normal mate my RNS-D and current RNS-E is like this, dont worry!

They are not bomb proof and prone to bugs etc, the delaer actually told me that and you think they should be considering what Audi charge for them!

JamS3 said:
Its normal mate my RNS-D and current RNS-E is like this, dont worry!

I'd beg to differ. Mine is always on the nose with regard to position. I would suggest that your unit is perhaps incorrectly coded. The whole point of the DIS display is that it counts you down to the turning you need to make. If it were that far out it would be useless. Obviously the number of satellite fixes is critical to accurate positioning so check that first and if necessary relocate you GPS antenna. if that doesn't help that get your coding checked and corrected if necessary.