Monster MotorsportSky Insurance
    1st Gear

Status

RNS-E Map Pointer Lag

I have just retrofitted a 2004 RNS-E unit to my new S3.

When the unit is in map view, and I am doing over 30mph, I have noticed that the pointer lags behind where the car is on the road, e.g. it shows me passing junctions several yards after I have passed them. At about 30mph or below (or in zoom view of junctions or roundabouts, when I am decelerating anyway) the pointer seems accurate.

Could anyone confirm whether the pointer lag issue I have described is a normal characteristic of all RNS-E's? If not, could the reason be that mine is an older model with a slower processor and therefore slower screen refresh rate? Would a 2007 model RNS-E be faster?
    I wouldn't be so paranoid if everyone wasn't out to get me......

Spook's Silv3r Ghost - with Recaro bucket seats - is here!

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status
    How many satelites are you picking up?
    2004 Black S4 Avant.
    RNS-E, Glovebox Changer, Bose, Cruise Control, Black Leather Interior, Heated Front Seats, Sony Bluetooth Handsfree, Rear Parking Sensors, Blinds, Lighting and Storage Pack.
    Slim-line DVD player to be fitted soon!

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by tractorman
    How many satelites are you picking up?
    varies between 3-8, usually 4-5 at any given time.

Neutral

Status
    Have you made any coding changes using VAG.COM? There's definitely a setting in there to specify wheel rim dimensions which you need to get right. CAn't remember what function number it is. It'll be listed at navplus.us for sure. The RNS-E uses a combination of satellites and information from the ABS system to lock on to your locaiton. If you're in a tunnel, it'll take a speed reading from the ABS for example.

HTH

Gary
    Audi A3 Sportback Ibis White TDI170 S-Line - RNS-E - BOSE - Leather - Xenons - Auto Lights and Wipers - Interior Light Pack - Parking Sensors

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by galewis
    Have you made any coding changes using VAG.COM? There's definitely a setting in there to specify wheel rim dimensions which you need to get right. CAn't remember what function number it is. It'll be listed at navplus.us for sure. The RNS-E uses a combination of satellites and information from the ABS system to lock on to your locaiton. If you're in a tunnel, it'll take a speed reading from the ABS for example.

HTH

Gary
    Yes, I did make some coding changes, but they're clearly not yet all quite right as I'm getting error codes including "Control Module Incorrectly Coded". However, the wheel rim dimension is one of the things that I'm pretty sure that I have got right.

Nobody has said whether my apparent problem is out of the ordinary yet!

4th Gear

Status
    Mine definitely does not do this. The position is always accurate. Well I say always, unless there are dirty great clouds overhead and I'm only getting 3 satellite fixes, then it can be a little behind.

I'm certain the problems you have are down to coding.

Can you post the coding you have for the following modules

17 - Steering Wheel
    56 - Navigation system

STG 56 Channel 1 is the place to put the tire dimension. If you set it to 0 it will self calibrate over time.
    I'm an optimist but I don't think it helps much.

A3 8P 2.0TDi S-Line Sportback DSG

Status
    Mine sometimes lags, usually in built-up areas, and it's also never been coded so perhaps there's a bit of a theme here!
    2004 A3 Sportback 2.0TDI SE, RNS-E Sat Nav SW0650 TMC, 17" Star Alloys, Xenons, DIS, Rear Mats & Sunblind, Alu trim, Ebony Black pearlescent
    2006 Honda Accord EX i-CTDI, Arctic Blue, Leather, Sat Nav, XCarLink

6th Gear

Status
    Its normal mate my RNS-D and current RNS-E is like this, dont worry!

They are not bomb proof and prone to bugs etc, the delaer actually told me that and you think they should be considering what Audi charge for them!
    NOW - Audi S3 Facelift - Sprint Blue, RNS-E Sat Nav, SDS, Bluetooth Phone Prep, Bose, Cruise, Buckets, FBMFSW, Adaptive Lights, Int Light Pack, Tyre Pressure Monitor, Piano Black Inserts, Through Load, Auto Dim RV Mirror/Wing, Auto Wipers/Lights, Folding Door Mirrors, Heated Seats, Ipod Dock, Front Arm Rest, Rear/Front Parking Sensors, 1st Aid Kit, Rear Arm Rest, H + R Springs, Front 15mm Spacers, Rear 10mm Spacers.

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JamS3
    Its normal mate my RNS-D and current RNS-E is like this, dont worry!
    I'd beg to differ. Mine is always on the nose with regard to position. I would suggest that your unit is perhaps incorrectly coded. The whole point of the DIS display is that it counts you down to the turning you need to make. If it were that far out it would be useless. Obviously the number of satellite fixes is critical to accurate positioning so check that first and if necessary relocate you GPS antenna. if that doesn't help that get your coding checked and corrected if necessary.
    I'm an optimist but I don't think it helps much.

A3 8P 2.0TDi S-Line Sportback DSG