Navi Plus MMC or SD Discs

Shadowman

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have an '06 A4 with Naviplus and Bose but no CD changer. I am not much of a techno head, but I presume that I can get MMC or SD cards to slot in to the two slots behind the screen, but it seems pretty specific in the manual which ones I can and cannot use. Any idea where I can get some and exactly what I will need to get as it is all double-dutch to me ?

Also, will this mean that I can continue to listen to music on these whilst the Sat Nav is still working ?

Finally, what size will I need ( I presume there is a maximum the unit will read ) and how many songs would I be able to load on one of these ?

Sorry for all the questions, but any help would be gratefully received .

Max 512 files on SD cards in MP3 format and yes Navi plays over top.

Shadowman said:
Finally, what size will I need ( I presume there is a maximum the unit will read ) and how many songs would I be able to load on one of these ?
Yep, 512 files and folders is the maximum on the SD card. As well as purchasing the SD card, you'll also need a reader (usually a USB pen that accepts the card in one end and plugs into the USB port at the other).

Cheapest place to buy - in my experience - is eBay, especially if you look at the items from Hong Kong. My SD card reader and a couple of cards have come from there via reputable vendors and I've never had any problems.

As for card size, the Audi manual recommends 256MB max, but over on http://www.navplus.us, 4GB cards have been tested with no problems. The bigger the card however, the longer the RNS-E takes at start-up to read the contents. Doesn't affect playback though.

I think 2GB would be ideal, depending on the bit-rate of your MP3s because, assuming they're coded at a medium quality bitrate (192KBps perhaps), you'll reach the 512 file limit before you run out of space.

Hopefully this isn't too technical for you!