S3 ICE Help

danh

Reaction score
I've got a bog standard set-up in my S3, although it does have a CD changer. I'm looking to improve it but don't really know where to start.

Does the standard head unit have a pre-out so I could install an amp and new speakers? Ideally I would change the head unit but don't want it to stick out like a sore thumb if the fascia panels don't match up.

What have you guys done if anything and what would you recommend?

There are pre-amp outs, but they can be a pain to get at and it's only rear. You need to cut wires and connect to them. The wiring diagram should be on the top of the stereo when you remove it.

In my A4 I had a similar std. setup. I changed the front speakers and amp'd them plus I added an amp'd sub. Everything will run off the one pre-amp ok, but your front/rear/sub balance will be determined by fiddling with the amps and you'll almost definitely need to turn the bass down on the head unit and use the sub amp to get the required bass gain. Not a big deal, once it's set, it's ok.

If you want control from the head unit you could use a high->low reducer, but most are naff /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Personally I'd avoid it.

Sorry, just remembered. If you don't already know, the rear speakers and your sub run off the rear pre-amp also so you must keep the original connections in place once you add your own.

Sounds straightforward! Any recommendations on speakers/amps etc.

I can't rememebr what systems UK spec cars get as "standard" as you say, but a mate has an MY01 S3 with the Bose system we get here in Aus, and all he did was swap the Bose head unit for one of the higher end Sony MP3 units, and the difference was nothing short of amazing.

I honestly didn't believe him when he said he hadn't upgraded any of the speakers... I was shocked when he opened the boot and I saw no extra gear.

If I was gonna spend some money I'd be doing that first - if you're after an upgrade, but not an all out killer system, it's well worth it

Just my 2 cents /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

oh, not sure what the story with the RDS broadcasts scrolling along the top of the DIS screen would be though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Tim

Hi Tim. I completely agree on changing the head unit. I've done that in my S3 and the difference is astounding, even with standard (non-bose) speakers. Now I need a sub /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Danny, as for what to get I guess that's a matter of what you want to spend and what you like. I find that's a very personal thing.

FYI, I had :

Front : MB Quart Reference with Concord 2x50RMS
Sub : Alpine Type R 10" and 300RMS amp.

My new head unit is one of the 4x60 Alpine units and I find the 2x27RMS at the front more than enough, but you may disagree /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Do consider changing the head unit Danny, chances are you won't need to Amp the front speakers then. You'll also get overall better sound quality.

[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
Oh anr remove the old sub in the boot (in the left hand compartment) cos its CR*P. if u replace the rear speakers, you would have to anyway cos rears and the patheic sub run of an amp.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did that and made myself a lovely box which fits into the recess nicely to reduce the amout of space taken up by the box...here's a pic.

I changed my mind and went for a new Alpine head unit and changer.

Quick question: I need to wire in a new power lead for it. When you disconnect the battery do you lose the DIS info (i.e. variable service indicator)? If so, how do you get it back to where it was?

You don't lose it. I never kept my battery disconnected for more than an hour or so though...