Concert II into A3 8L

vegas

Reaction score
Hi,

I've swapped the original concert I (volume control broken) in my a3 with a concert II cd player. Couple of questions though...
1) The dash doesn't display the stereo info anymore. Can this be recified?
2) The unit does not switch on/off with the igintion. Anything I can do about this?
When I disconnected the original Concert I, there was a large spade connector that plugged onto a metal tag on the back of the unit. On the concert II, there is no tag, but a round yellow connector. From reading around the forums, I think this is the CANBUS connector but I don't seem to have anything that fits in the wiring loom. I'm guessing that this connector may be something to do with the issues above but any help would be appreciated, cheers.

CANBUS HU into a non CANBUS Audi.
You can get a CANBUS emulator but they're about £90, so not a cheap fix.

Is it a facelift 8L? If so you can pick up the CAN bus from behind the instruments cluster.

Hi, it's a 1999 model, so I guess getting the dashboard to display isn't really an option at £90 but I can live with that. The unit itself is much nicer than the concert 1 and I'm happy with getting it for £100. Originally thought I might get an aftermarket unit and upgrade the lot inc speakers but wasn't really up for faffing about with wiring - I needed the time to fix the central locking and window clips!
Just wondering if not having that large spade connector plugged in makes any difference. I take it the dimming for the lights, etc is also controled via CANBUS?
Cheers.

1999 you might be lucky and have a canbus cluster, check if your cluster has 3 connectors, green, blue and grey. If so you have canbus.

Oh dear. A pre-facelift has only 2 connectors on the cluster so no CAN there.

I would get a concert 1 when one comes up on Ebay. If you don't mind not having the info in the DIS go aftermarket.

Hi, thanks for the advice, I think I'll stick with the concertII and live without the display output, etc, might get an aftermarket unit at some point, although not too bothered at the moment. New bushes seem to be the latest priority...If I had the time I'd build a new sub for the boot and stick an amp in but for the moment it's nice not to have the volume control problem blasting my ears! hum...powerflex bushes or standard? think I'll have a look at the other forums...great site by the way, the tips on fixing the window clips and the central locking have saved me hundreds...cheers, James