Amp suggestions

AndybS3

Reaction score
I received this thing in payment for doing a small job although its quite old I reckon its a decent quality amp has anyone got any ideas if it would be worth while sticking it in an S3 with concert stereo (non Bose) and upgrading the speakers and maybe an Andy Mac enclosure.
If not I suppose I could maybe save some bucks and use it as a lintel for my new patio doors.

specs :-
RMS Output - 6 channells into 4 ohms -40/55 WRMS

No, the Concert HU does have pre-outs, they're just not standard connections. You need a mini-ISO to RCA adapter from caraudio direct, about £14.00. It's the yellow one listed under Blaupunkt, but works for Matsushita as well. This gives you front & rear pre-outs.

Personally I'd sell that monster on ebay (you'd probably get a good price) and buy something a little smaller which would fit behind the rear speaker panel. Given its size it's not actually that powerful and there are physically smaller amps with the same sort of output. I'd buy an Alpine MRV-F705 or similar for about £100 on ebay. This will give you 2 x 70w RMS for the rears, and a bridged output for a sub (280w peak).

You can pick the rear pre-outs off the loom running to the existing sub (I have the pin outs if you need them). The amp can be completely hidden behind the rear speaker panel, and you can run the front speakers off the HU (as they are at the moment).

Nearly fell on the floor laughing when I saw that amp. That's a big'un missus. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Andy, in my A4 I used the single concert pre-out to run two amps (fronts and sub), with the rear speakers using the in-build Audi amp. I lost HU fader control, but it's no big loss. How often do you adjust your fader?

My 2p on the subject is use the amp unless your short on space. Upgrade all the speakers and let it sing. If your coming to the next Crail/Scottish meet you can listen to my setup if you like.

On the other hand, AndyMac has a point, it's a monster brute and you can get similar power for smaller size. Still, if you can afford the space, give it some nice speakers to drive /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Personally, IMHO, I'd always amp the fronts before the rears if you have a sub.

Just from my experience, but each to their own in ICE /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mark, I'm confused, why did you lose HU fader control? Obviouly you couldn't fade between fronts & sub cause their running off the same pre-out, but you should still be able to fade front to back.

As you say once you've balanced the sound you don't tend to touch the fader but I just need to know.

I recommended amping the rears as in the S3 the rears run off the same amp as the feeble tupperware sub woofer. So it makes it much easier from a wiring point of view to keep this configuration, and gives you some control over the sub level, as you can fade the rears (& sub) up or down. Also you can fit 6x9's in the rear panels and get quite decent sound, especially with separate tweeters mounted on the rear pillars.

Hi Andy, no problem, it's not obvious.

The rears run off the in-built Audi amp, which in turns runs off the pre-amp out. Hence, ultimately, all the speakers are running off the one pre-amp.

Ah, that tupperware sub. I've just dis-connected mine since I have the 12inch sub. Agree that the rears should have more power than they do as std. It's just that IMHO, the fronts need the power to run a good set of speakers with clarity at high volume. My rears run off my head unit (2x20RMS I think), the fronts are amped (2x50RMS). I prefer it that way, but well, it's all personal as you know.

With 6x9s you could still run a cheaper set of new speakers in the rear side panels. With all that power, may as well use it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif