Sky InsuranceMonster Motorsport
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5

    I need some Wiring info or confirmation

    Im going to install new aftermarket car audio to my Audi A3, Its 2000/2001 Year model. It has allready a that kind CD player, some Blaupunkt.
    But it have to go because i want DVD Player, and now i have one. I bought JVC KD-AVX33
    Now i want to know that is there any other possible concerns with installing the wiring except plug the ISO connector to car?
    This car DVD had , ofcource ISO harness/plugs with it. I presume that i have to change to modified wiring by the positive wires, that yellow to red swapping for continuos 12V/start ? Like it says also in JVC installation manual, in fact there is two different modified methods. The previous player, Blaupunkt is connected that way, that its always powered/ shut from its on power button only.
    Still ,its not bad to be sure and ask.








  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    Voodoo's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Telford
    Posts
    48
    Im no ICE expert, so im sure the other peeps on here will clarify exactly, but I have the JVC AVX1 model, few steps down from that, had an absolute nightmare finding space at the back to fit it in, too many cables and not enough spots to put them. Connections fitted no problem all standard, apart from the ariel, you will need a ISO to DIN I believe, PC5-90 was the one I cam across. and yes I had to swap the red/white cable with yellow/red cable, I believe its pin 7 and 4 on the origonal ISO connector, they are written on if you look carefully but sounds like this might already of been done on yours.
    For the handbrake cable that comes with them so you cant whatch it whilst in motion, I just wired that to the chassis off to the left behind the center console, that gets around that little issue and alows you to have the DVD player on whilst driving, although I wouldnt recomend whatching a movie on it at the same time more for your passengers.
    Audi A3 1.8T Sport 1999 | 18" RS4 Alloys

  4. #3
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    World of my own
    Posts
    9,813
    You'll also need an adapter to plug into the rear/sub amp (unless this has been done already).
    If you remove the glovebox it's a whole lot easier to feed all the cables/adapters behind the new unit.

  5. #4
    Voodoo's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Telford
    Posts
    48
    I took the glove box out along with trim under steering wheel so I could move the center console out, but still couldnt get enough space round the back. damn climate control was all in the way to get my mits in there, so took the center console forward to tidy cables up
    Audi A3 1.8T Sport 1999 | 18" RS4 Alloys

  6. #5
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo
    Im no ICE expert, so im sure the other peeps on here will clarify exactly, but I have the JVC AVX1 model, few steps down from that, had an absolute nightmare finding space at the back to fit it in, too many cables and not enough spots to put them. Connections fitted no problem all standard, apart from the ariel, you will need a ISO to DIN I believe, PC5-90 was the one I cam across. and yes I had to swap the red/white cable with yellow/red cable, I believe its pin 7 and 4 on the origonal ISO connector, they are written on if you look carefully but sounds like this might already of been done on yours.
    For the handbrake cable that comes with them so you cant whatch it whilst in motion, I just wired that to the chassis off to the left behind the center console, that gets around that little issue and alows you to have the DVD player on whilst driving, although I wouldnt recomend whatching a movie on it at the same time more for your passengers.
    Yes, thanks of these information. So you mean that red/white in the cars ISO? I only noticed that in the JVC s own ISO harness has allready these plugs that i can switch the red and yellow or put red to yellow and leave one wire to no connection. So then you wouldnt need to touch the cars wires. Or what?

    And about the cars rear speakers. I noticed when i bought the car that the rear speakers are not working. I guess the wires etc. are not connected in Blaupunkt because i checked the back doors and speakers where in place, so the car has 6 speaker system.
    This being my first A3 or even Audi are in these used some sort of active speakers ystems, and how i know if there are that? And are there execptions etc? Since i dont really know yet well these cars systems . I have had this only about 3-4 months now.

  7. #6
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    World of my own
    Posts
    9,813
    Yes Red with white stripe and yellow with re stripe on the cars ISO harness. these are back to front on the Audi ISO plug so need to be swapped over.
    All non Bose Audi's have active rear speakers. Only the fronts run off the HU. The A3 has a tupperware sub which also runs off the rear amp. In order to wire this into an aftermarket HU you need an adapter to take the rear RCA output and convert it to the non standard mini ISO plug that Audi use. You will probably get an unbalanced sound as a result as the rear amp is only 2 x 20w for the rears and 1 x 50w for the sub.
    You would be better off running new speaker cable to the rear speakers and run them directly off the new HU, then connect the RCA adapter to the sub out RCA on the new HU to at least give you some sub output.
    Replacing the sub is a much better option and will dramatically improve everything in the car.

  8. #7
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyMac
    Yes Red with white stripe and yellow with re stripe on the cars ISO harness. these are back to front on the Audi ISO plug so need to be swapped over.
    All non Bose Audi's have active rear speakers. Only the fronts run off the HU. The A3 has a tupperware sub which also runs off the rear amp. In order to wire this into an aftermarket HU you need an adapter to take the rear RCA output and convert it to the non standard mini ISO plug that Audi use. You will probably get an unbalanced sound as a result as the rear amp is only 2 x 20w for the rears and 1 x 50w for the sub.
    You would be better off running new speaker cable to the rear speakers and run them directly off the new HU, then connect the RCA adapter to the sub out RCA on the new HU to at least give you some sub output.
    Replacing the sub is a much better option and will dramatically improve everything in the car.
    I got at last the old cd player out from the dash. Now i have the problem that i dont see any wires near by , that would be for sub +rear. What are those looking like colour etc? And where is that sub located i didnt know about that either.
    Only cables i did see is ISO coming to player, these wires that were covered by black shrink mesh or something , and then theres aerial cable that comes from the shrink mesh too.
    If those lines need somekind adapter, it will delay this thing, if i ever find those . I want at least somekind rear sound first , now theres nothing.
    Later i definately have to put some amplifier and new speakers etc. The rear+sub was not connected obviously because old cd player didnt seem to have any line connections installed at all.

  9. #8
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    World of my own
    Posts
    9,813
    The sub is in the left rear cubbyhole in the boot - the black plastic biscuit tin with a cheap door speaker mounted in it facing the rear. The amp is inside it.
    The plug you're looking for behind the HU is a 20pin long thin connector either multicoloured (blue/green/yellow) or solid black.
    Shown here:

    Or here:

    Put your hand right down the back behind the HU and it'll be there.
    This plugs into a red adapter which will then give you standard RCA inputs and a flying lead for the remote turn on for the amp.

  10. #9
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyMac
    The sub is in the left rear cubbyhole in the boot - the black plastic biscuit tin with a cheap door speaker mounted in it facing the rear. The amp is inside it.
    The plug you're looking for behind the HU is a 20pin long thin connector either multicoloured (blue/green/yellow) or solid black.
    Shown here:

    Or here:

    Put your hand right down the back behind the HU and it'll be there.
    This plugs into a red adapter which will then give you standard RCA inputs and a flying lead for the remote turn on for the amp.
    Ok, thanks now this is getting somewhere

  11. #10
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5
    Now i have to ask about the rear to head unit adapter. Does that part have some particular part number model or something? And are those sold in normal hifi stores or can you get one only from audi dealer?

  12. #11
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    World of my own
    Posts
    9,813
    Maplins or big Halfords do them, or pretty much any good ICE dealer
    Autoleads part no. is PC9-404, but there are other manufacturers. It's a big red plug that matches the socket above, going to 2 or 4 RCA female connectors

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO