iPod Video & Digital Radio

mrmacmusic

Reaction score
Hi all - this is my first ICE post so be gentle!!

Having finally got my first A4 Avant, I'm considering adding an iPod interface. Seems straightforward enough (!?). However, I'd like to be able to send the video output from the iPod to a removable rear headrest screen.

My theory is, that on the iPod dock there is a Line Output and Dock connector - the Dock connector provides the power, but you can still have Audio & Video on the mini-jack Line Output (at home you would plug this into your TV). Has anyone tried this in-car? If it works, then a Dock connector to the armrest would facilitate an easy hookup to the rear screen via a custom cable.....no? If I had to custom fit the Apple Dock in the armrest somehow to get the Line Out, I'd be happy to do that.

Presumably I could then choose to either (a) use the iPod interface to listen to music through the Symphony HU or (b) use the iPod interface to power the iPod but output movies (or indeed music) to the rear screen?

I hope I explained that right - maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree (or just plain barking) but it seems like it should work OK??

If I add an iPod interface, is there any way to add DAB radio - or should I really be considering a complete HU upgrade? Also, how difficult would it be to add an auxiliary 12v outlet at the back of the centre console between the two rear seats (under the ashtray)?

Any advice much appreciated!

For DAB you can either go with something like a Revo receiver, which then outputs via FM to the Symphony, or it's a new HU.
Is the video output from an iPOD good enough to be used on a bigger screen? I'd imagine its optimised for the iPOD screen so would be horrible on a normal LCD.

The video iPod handles either 'standard' 320x240 or 640x480. AFAIK in actual fact the video iPod can handle video files of 'any' resolution up to a maximum of 300,000+ pixels [640x480=307,200] - I already have some DVDs ripped up at around 720x405 (i.e. PAL 16:9 straight off the DVD) and they look pretty good. The encoding process has a big impact on how good they look on TV or LCD. Even 320px movies are perfectly watchable played back on TV.

I've output the video from the iPod into an older portable DVD player before via the AV input and it looked more than OK - I'd be happy to watch them if I had to sit in the back. Much prefer the front seat though....!!