Quality of the Symphony head unit?

PVO_Dave

Back in a Quattro :)
Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
I've put a deposit down on an S4 (now got to wait for it :sob:)

It has the double din symphony head unit, are these actually any good? I only recently got a Pioneer DEH-P6800, good quality and I love the MP3 playback :)

So MP3 functionality asside, what would you do? Sell the Pioneer or replace the Symphony with the pioneer with the facia adaptor?

cheers in advance! :)

Dave.

No opinions? :think:

Even if you dont know the Pioneer head unit, your views on the symphony vs a half decent aftermarket unit would be useful! :)

All Audi HU's are the same basic spec, and are built to a price. So no they are not quality HU's but they're OK. An aftermarket HU will always be a superior option, but whether the improvement in SQ & features outway the cosmetic impact is down to personal taste.
Personally I'd live with the Symphony for awhile before making that sort of decision.

I've got to say the one thing putting me off is having to get one of the autoleads replacement panel things, anyone got a photo of one installed?

Symphony II is okay, but if you like your sounds it won't blow you away. However, since it is double-DIN, you might like to do the RNS-E retrofit as well to get sat nav with MP3 and much-improved sound quality. Even with the same Audi stock speakers there's a definite improvement.

Agree; sound wise the symphony unit is pretty good unless you are part of the max power cruzin' brigade!.
RNS-E retrofit is definately the best way to go especially if you have double din. All parts available on ebay and will cost about £450 all in with all the adapters. Add another £350 for the full OEM bluetooth phone kit which gives caller display on the dash and can dial from the RNS-E..
RNS also takes 2 SD memory cards that play MP3's

Thanks for the info, I'm certainly not into the max power thing, I do like a quality stereo though :)

I'll look into the RNS-E options! :D

Quality & max power? that's the ultimate oxymoron. The symphony is average at best regardless of volume.

Thats not what I meant, I'm more after clarity than volume! (besides I'll be using my boot to lug all my band stuff around in, no room for subs etc! lol)

Sorry to jack the thread a little, but how do you guys think Audi sound systems compare to other car manufacurers sound systems straight from the factory? Ive allways though they were realy good for standard spec.

So then... the verdict is, it's not that great! lol

Thanks for the input, I'll check out the options :)

I think you really have to look at what the competition is doing. Volvo for instance partnered with DynAudio a while back and probably have the finest sound systems as standard in a £25k vehicle.
"910 watts powering 14 speakers, including two 8-inch subwoofers behind the rear seat that receive 130 watts each"
I'm sorry Audi, but if you still think 4 x 20w is adequate in a prestige vehicle then you're sadly mistaken.

4 x 20?? Would have thought most were offering at least 4x40 as a minimum!

Well, I'll try it first, if it's no good then I'll have to try and make the crappy autoleads facia fit! lol

AndyMac said:
I think you really have to look at what the competition is doing. Volvo for instance partnered with DynAudio a while back and probably have the finest sound systems as standard in a £25k vehicle.
"910 watts powering 14 speakers, including two 8-inch subwoofers behind the rear seat that receive 130 watts each"
I'm sorry Audi, but if you still think 4 x 20w is adequate in a prestige vehicle then you're sadly mistaken.

... but its a volvo, and that is why!....

Well having had the car a few days I can't say it's great, the quality isn't too bad, but loses all composure when it gets slightly loud! lol

An ex-stereo installer friend of mine has ordered me up a facia adaptor and we will fit the pioneer and my nokia bluetooth kit soon

Major plus point of the symphony is the way it glows at night, but the pioneer does glow red so it's not too bad.

AndyMac said:
910 watts...14 speakers? Who's even got that in their living room ***!

buy a phatnoise hook it up, if its a Bose system then your ll live their not that bad anyway unless your used to expsensive aftermarket systems.

batwad said:
910 watts...14 speakers? Who's even got that in their living room ***!
Who's got a metal living room with an engine and rolling road in it, running their stereo off 12v?

You need far more power in a car to overcome the road/engine noise, hugely bad acoustics and the limitations and inefficiencies of just 12v to play with.