A3 8P Sportback - front/rear speaker replacement advice

The speakers are 6.5" and 1.5" tweeters. same front and rear. not to sure on the depth I never measured them but you have plenty of depth to play with in the door.

The stock speakers are in a plastic bracket type thing which is then bolted to the door. You may if your very carefull be able to re-use this but I doubt it.

I have 54 plate and I couldn't get speaker adaptors for it so I am making my own from MDF, best way to do it I think.

I am in the process of installing a computer in mine along with an upgraded sound system, as I do things I post them on my work blog at: http://www.digital-car.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=6729

Hope that helps a little

Do the tweeter/mid speaker grilles just pop off? Is there a technique for removing them carefully without damaging the grilles?

I've just ordered some MB Quart 6.5s hoping they'll drop straight in. Sounds like an MDF convertor might be necessary.

Good luck with the PC install!

The tweeter grills just pop off as for the actual speaker im not to sure, ive only seen the speakers when I took the door card off, im pretty sure they just pop off!

Are they the same size for a 2005 A3 3 door with the Bose speakers as I'm thinking of changing my set up

Does anyone know the size of the sub speaker in the A3?

maars said:
Does anyone know the size of the sub speaker in the A3?

About 5" in a naff plastic box and this isn't a lot of space behind the boot panels either. I have some pics of my Bose system when I get the time to host and post them.

I'm in the middle of my install (car in bits as we speak) and as a result of the free space I'm using some 6 1/2 " Subs and running them IB in place of the rear Bose speakers (3 door) and will loose the spare wheel and the electronics will go in there with a can of tyre moose.

Thanks! Sounds like a nice little install you have planned.

How easy is it to remove the speaker grilles for the tweeters/mids on the doors? Any tips? Tell me you don't have to remove the whole door card...

maars said:
Thanks! Sounds like a nice little install you have planned.

How easy is it to remove the speaker grilles for the tweeters/mids on the doors? Any tips? Tell me you don't have to remove the whole door card...

Can't tell you about the rears but the fronts (on a 3 door) is a door card removall to change. Not too difficult to do though. Tweeter is the A pillar trim, just watch out for the airbag though.

Paul

******! There was me thinking it would be a quick "pop the grille off - replace the speaker" job.

Is taking the door trim off easy? Are there any guides available?