hissing over spearkers etc (car computer)

mordz

Audi S3 (2000)
Reaction score
hi guys, i have recently updated my car computer to a full indash one (it has its own onboard amp etc and is very well made - just a standard iso multiblock on the back.

as my car is bose amplified i purchased the PC9-408 to enable me to connect the aplified speaker outs to the bose amp.

anywas i get noise all the time even if mute the pc, noise when i move the mouse or the is HDD activity. i removed the harness adapror and tried that and got same issue.

people have mentioned bad ground or a ground loop to me before but since im not using RCA's i cant put in an inline ground loop isolator. but i have checked all my grounds and there are good.

i just wondered if anyone had any suggestions?

Thanks

Alex

The PC9-408 includes a hi-lo converter (takes amplified signal back down to pre-amp signal) so this is the major cause of hiss. Swap it for a PC9-410 and it should improve things, but you'll need to use pre-out level output from the PC i.e. Headphone socket if it doesn't have proper pre-outs.
Any other issues will be down to the quality of the PC. Shyte components to keep costs down = electrically noisy operation and there's no way round that.
Really cannot understand why anyone would want a PC in there car, they'll probably be the next thing on the list of banned items after mobile phones and smoking.

each to there own matey ;)

i have both adaptors, reason i have now swapped to the 408 is becuase the new PC doesnt have a pre out, its all amplifide just like a normo HU,

i took the 408 out and wierd direct but got the same results. unfortunatly the pc has no line out, just the amplified speaker outs.

have a look here

http://www.cartft.com/catalog/item/?wm_item_id=770

AndyMac said:
Really cannot understand why anyone would want a PC in there car, they'll probably be the next thing on the list of banned items after mobile phones and smoking.

There are a few advantage, but everyone has there own idea. :)

(Did you know Microsoft are working with Ford to make cars with pcs pre-built it.)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6240479.stm

Next big thing carpcs are :cool:

Mordz, i was going to say grounding, but i guess you already covered that. I have no idea.

[off topic]you cheat, why go with the pre-built pc, whats wrong with the current system? [/offtopic]

Just what I want, a HU that takes over a minute to boot up, plagued with interference, does everything, but pretty badly, and crashes every 3 days.
PC's are great for most things, but in a car are just another gimmick.

AndyMac said:
Just what I want, a HU that takes over a minute to boot up, plagued with interference, does everything, but pretty badly, and crashes every 3 days.
PC's are great for most things, but in a car are just another gimmick.

lol. :)