What is Bose and will my car have it?

Itchy_digits

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Hey guys. I'm just trying to work out what to do for my new sound system and how to do it. So I've been browsing a load of old posts and this Bose sytem seems to pop up a lot as something which you have or don't have. But how do I know if I have or not??

My car is a 1999, T reg, A3 SE, 1.8. Would anyone know if that comes with or without this Bose system? And what would I need to buy for fitting my new headunit? I'll be getting a headunit with 2 pre outs and running a sub and both front speakers off an aftermarket amp.

Andymac.....hear you're good on Audi ICE. Any help?

Cheers guys.

Bose is a supposed "upgrade" to the stock system.
Just look in the rear left cubbyhole in the boot. If the tupperware sub has two 4" speakers then it's Bose, if it only has one 6.5" sub then it's non Bose.
If you're going aftermarket with an amp & sub then you can bypass all the crappy Audi wiring, so you don't really need any adapters.
I presume you'll be replacing the front components, which you'll need speaker adapters for.
You'll need a fascia adapter for the HU and also an antenna adapter:
http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/aerial-adaptor-p-211.html

Hey....just had a look in my boot and couldn't see any sub in either side. Umm maybe I'm not looking for the right thing, but I know a speaker when i see one lol. May my car not have a sub?

Also I have got a Blaupunkt tape player in there at the mo and It isn't even turning on. Think I've checked the right fuse. What else could be causing it?

Cheers guys.

Yes you have a sub, all A3's have one. It's in the lefthand cubbyhole, black plastic box with a speaker facing the rear of the car, space above it for a CD changer. Some people mistake the speaker for a fan.
the problem with the HU could be absolutely anything as it's not the standard HU. You need to pull it out and take a pic of the wiring.