No sound on rns-E and No Tv

Mcgough

Reaction score
Just installed my unit and ive got no sound on any speaker and my Tv tuner doesnt register( I cannot select it) i only seem to get CDs.

I bought a RNS-E and a Tv tuner off a guy from here, the RNS-E was coded for Bose before it was sent so that shouldnt be the problem!

I have done a little wiring so can i double check with people on here that is not the fault..........

I had these wires coming from the Tv tuner harness, and next to them is there colour and where ive spliced into....

K-line = 1)Red =B5
Positive = 2)Red - grey Stripe =D13
ground = 3)Brown =D12
Can L = 4)Grey -White stripe =D10
Can H = 5)Grey- Red Stripe =D9

I also had the 2 aerials which have a red and black ive connected them to....

RED = D13
BLACK = D12

Things that are ok....
My GPS is connected and picks up 4 sat's
My radio seems to select radio stations....not sure if they work though.

POSSIBLE PROBLEMS please guys>

cheers kris

Just did a bit of testing i can see why my tuner aint working, that pin D13 is just 10Vdc when ignition off and 3v's when on?? So that will be why my tuner aint firing up!

Can i use a relay or connect from some where else?? anyone got any drawings or ideas??

as for the BOSE ive be looking around the site, i can remember someone mentioning a pin that might have to be changed for BOSE setup?? is this right!

No the Bose pin is just to flatten the EQ on the HU, it doesn'r effec whether it works or not.
Chances are if the whole thing fires up and seems to be working but you get no sound then the "remote on" is not getting to the Bose amp (as all the speakers are active on the Bose system).

So which wire should i check to make sure the feed is getting to the bose AMP

This one circled in red:
symphonyII_pincopy.jpg

Thats a cd navi, i have a DVD nav??

Cheers CraigyB ive removed the switched live and used the permanent live and every thing works, but i need a solution for the switched live?? Or my Tv tuner, and aerials will drain my battery- or will i be ok??

also i need to know where the aerials go and which one connects to which?? as im getting good reception but not great

"Thats a cd navi, i have a DVD nav??"
There's no difference, all Audi HU's have the same wiring.

oh really!! well my bose is working now cheers,

i just need the switched live??

You'll have to wire one in either from fusebox on/off with engine, or if you want a proper feed so it doesn't go off until you pull the keys out then you need to do the following:
Remove the trim under the steering wheel and you will see the main loom from the ignition switch running under the left side of the steering column. You'll see some black trunking protecting the loom. Release this trunking so you can get to the wires. You'll see a very thin red wire in amongst all the other thicker wires. This is the one you want.
With the ignition off and the keys out, chop this wire and reconnect it with a small terminal block along with another wire that you can then run to a relay. Unfortunately the wire is so thin that you can't get a reliable feed using a piggyback connector.
This is a very low current feed so you can't power anything directly from it. Just wire in a 12v relay using piggyback connections from the perm live & earth at the HU and use this new wire to switch the relay on/off, then use the other side of the relay to power the new HU. Sounds more complicated than it actually is, took me 30-45 minutes to do mine, but well worthwhile otherwise you need to have the keys turned to ignition on to get the HU to work when parked up.

and to get these in a better position??? any ideas??

This is the left one.....

CIMG0073.jpg

This is the right one......

CIMG0072.jpg

And this is the tuner....

CIMG0074.jpg

Wiring not finished yet until i find out what is what?? ie 2 greens and 2 browns on the tuner? what is what