Connects 2 Aux in adapter.

shindigger

Reaction score
Hi,
Im the slightly disappointed new owner of a 07 A3 Special Edition Sportback*
Firstly, whats "special" about no rear speakers? Jesus, even a Fiesta has 4 speakers....:faint:

To my point, i need an aux in for my Sony Walkman phone which im gonna load with a 2gb card, 600 songs not bad.
I figure this will enable virtually handsfree phone use, all i have to do is hit the silver button on the headphone cable to cut the tunes.
Im currently running it with an IRiver FM modulator, and its not bad.

Ive purchased a "Connects 2" box to trick the headunit (Double din Chorus with single CD) in to accepting the changer signal.

Finally my question, where is the best/easiest place to locate the jack plug? The ashtray area looks intriguing (non smoker) or what about the blank switch covers? I need to run quite a long cable as the mic for the handsfree needs to be relatively near me, as i get howl round if i turn up too far.
Do i need 4 relaese keys? Would a snapped up hacksaw blade do the job?

Also do i need to ground anything? Are ther any other pitfalls when doing this job?

I was gonna buy a Sony Bluetooth headunit , but after realising theres no rear speakers and Audi wiring doesnt like after market very much i think £35 on a connects 2 box is all this car warrants. Plus i get virtually handsfree phone calling.
It helps having the phone switch the source, except for when im listening to the radio obviously.

I see the benefits of this being no fascia to replace, retains factory fit, no need to remove aftermarket head unit face, all music stored on phone, no pocket full of gadgets to worry about. Handsfree phone without expensive wiring/ bluetooth.

Also ive done 500 miles from new and i detect a buzz on low mids on the drivers side speaker. Should i kick off about this?

Many thanks for sticking with me to this point and for any info.
Cheers
Andy.

*Its a contract hire car.:keule:

Just get it upgraded to the spec you want .
Dont go about cutting up a new car thats on contract hire lol.

Can you confirm that the Chorus CD unit only comes with 2 speakers installed? If so I will be upgrading my order to the Concert III. Thanks.

Yeah, you get 1 in the botom of each front door and 1 tweeter level with each wing mirror. Nowt in the back.
Crap.:hubbahubba:

Not to doubt you but other people have confirmed that all A3's come with 8 speakers in total. Including sub woofer and amp.

i suggest you tread carefully.
the dealer in shrewsbury that supplied says that no 07 A3 should have only fronts and it should have more spkrs, my local dealer in salisbury says its a front only job. be careful. ive fired off a mail to audi. £15000 car with a toytown stereo. rubbish.
im telling you ive got an a3 tdi sportback special edition with a speaker in each front door and a tweeter near each wing mirror and nothing behind the grilles in the back. not even any ****** wiring.
believe what you want mate. but id make sure you see your car first, and take a screwdriver with you.
:faint:

I must admit, I read this thread with some scepticism, as I couldn't imagine Audi would spec a car with front speakers only. I was sure Shindigger must be mistaken (or his car an unfortunate rogue). But then I went to the website, and found this list of standard equipment:
"Other standard equipment
- Manual air conditioning system
- Three 3 point seat belts for rear seat
- 5-speed manual transmission
- Thatcham category 1 alarm and immobiliser
- Height adjustable driver and front passenger front seats
- Crash active head restraint for front seats
- Easy entry seats
- Seat belt reminder
- Tool kit and jack
- Front passenger seat ISOFIX child seat preparation
-chorus radio
- Cigarette lighter and ashtray in the centre console
- Dipping rear view mirror
- Driver and front passenger front and side airbags
- Electric front windows
- exterior mirror housings painted in body colour
- exterior mirror on the right (large field of view), convex
- filler neck module 1 with insert
- Split folding rear seat
- Front floor mats
- front speakers (non-active)
- Halogen headlight
- Headlight-range adjustment
- Driver's and passenger seat height adjustable
- Gloss finished decorative inlays
- ISOFIX child seat preparations for rear seats
- Removable luggage cover
- outer left rear view mirror: convex
- plastic scuff plates in door apertures
- Perforated leather gear knob (manual only)
- Radio remote controlled central locking
- SIDEGUARD - head airbag protection system
- Space-saving spare wheel
- Servotronic steering
- standard molded headlining
- standard seat, front left
- standard seat, front right
- standard tailgate stay
- 4-spoke steering wheel
- Three rear headrests
- 205/55 R16 tyres
- Model and engine designation at rear
- Windshield, heat-insulating glass
- without cup holder"

I've highlighted the relevant bits.

Aplogies for doubting you, Shindigger.

I rang Audi Customer Services this evening and they are going to look into this for me tomorrow as this query has not been raised previously. I will await their reply with interest.

Update - Audi Customer Services have been in touch and confirmed that the Chorus CD system only comes with 2 front speakers. The Concert system comes with 4 speakers front and back, and the Symphony system comes with 6 speakers. I have therefore upgraded to the Concert system in my A3 Sportback Special Edition 1.6 for a bargain £100.00 dealer price.

UPDATE.
Just tried to fit said "Connects2" adapter. Part no VADX001
No way in the world its gonna fit.
After being assured by the people at Car Audio Centre that it would.
This is a new design from Audi, dont think the aftermarket have caught up.

By new design, i mean its A TOTAL F*****G MINGER!!!!:puke2:

ONLY 2 SPEAKER OUTPUTS, NO MP3, HEATS UP AND CACKS OUT PLAYING CD COMPILATIONS DONE ON PC AND DOESNT ACCEPT AFTERMARKET ADAPTERS.
AUDI must try harder in future. This is toytown stuff.:sob: :puke: