Replacing the stock (Bose) Concert HU A3 (8P)

Gti Jazz Blue

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Afternoon All,

I'm currently getting the gear ready to upgrade the A3s sounds. Quick question on the two aerial connections on the Concert. I can use an Autoleads PC3-52 to power the Aerial Amp but what is the smaller aerial connection used for ?

BTW Kit list will be :

Alpine DVA-9861Ri HU (full speed IPod)
Alpine PXA-H600 (optical and AI-Net from the HU)
Alpine PDX-4.150 BiAmping Fronts
Alpine PDX-1.1000 Subs
Focal Utopia Fronts
Pair DLS 6" Subs in a custom box.

Thanks,

Paul

It’s the Diversity aerial connection.

The theory is that this small connection (Audi calls it the "intermediate frequency line" ) is connected between the radio & the ‘Control unit for aerial selection’ (contained inside the Audi aerial amp) & the radio uses this connection to tell the diversity switcher which antenna has the strongest signal, and feed that signal down the main HF aerial line.

Without this line connected the theory again is that the diversity switcher should be stuck on one antenna regardless of signal strength, in effect a normal aerial.

Gti Jazz Blue said:
Afternoon All,

I'm currently getting the gear ready to upgrade the A3s sounds. Quick question on the two aerial connections on the Concert. I can use an Autoleads PC3-52 to power the Aerial Amp but what is the smaller aerial connection used for ?

BTW Kit list will be :

Alpine DVA-9861Ri HU (full speed IPod)
Alpine PXA-H600 (optical and AI-Net from the HU)
Alpine PDX-4.150 BiAmping Fronts
Alpine PDX-1.1000 Subs
Focal Utopia Fronts
Pair DLS 6" Subs in a custom box.

Thanks,

Paul

Have you done much planning yet Paul as to how you are fitting it all in?
ie are you ripping out all the stock equipment like amp and back speakers?

What size are the front Focal's your using, I'm looking to move my Focals over from my BMW to my new S3 when I get it.

When you say custom box for the subs is that a more discreet fir than the box in the boot type thing?

Thanks for the aerial reply I will give it a go, I didn't realise that the A3 had two aerials.

On the kit front I have the previous generation Utopias to go in it, the size for the fronts is 6.5".

Not sure what to do on the sub front as AutoAcoustics have confirmed that they will be doing a StealthBoxz for the A3 (8P) but haven't given me a timescale.

Gti Jazz Blue said:
Thanks for the aerial reply I will give it a go, I didn't realise that the A3 had two aerials.

Yes on the concert and symphony radios but not on the Chorus radio

“concert” and “symphony” radio systems with active loudspeakers
1 - Bottom rear window aerial
2 - Aerial module on tailgate (bottom left)
3 - “concert” or “symphony” radio
4 - Front mid-range/bass loudspeaker in lower door trim
5 - Treble speaker in centre of A-pillar
6 - Centre mid-range/treble loudspeaker in front centre of dash panel
7 - Rear loudspeaker in side trim
8 - Amplifier with bass loudspeaker behind side trim on left of luggage compartment
9 - CD changer in glove box (optional)
10 - Aerial amplifier at top left of tailgate
11 - Top rear window aerial

a3ow2.png