Monster MotorsportEM Tuning
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Status

Re: BOSE Replacement / Concert HU feed to a PowerAmp

Both 12v perm & 12v switched are on the same full size ISO connector, along with remote on and ground.
    Normally this would simply plug into the HU and everything works. VAG seem to swap them over (had this on my Golf as well).

So take the full size power ISO cut the Red (with white stripe) wire (bottom left with the locking latch on the right), and the Yellow (red stripe) (3rd from left, top row) and swap them over. You can do this on the Alpine loom if you prefer. That's all you need to do. The HU will then retain memory and switch off when you take the keys out.
    Cheers, Andy

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status

CAN L & CAN H are nothing to do with powering the HU, and are normally on a mini-ISO, or separate connector.

1st Gear

Status

Oh ********. My connector block only has the 3 wires on the left the others are empty. Why cant Audi leave there feckin looms alone [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif[/img]

1st Gear

Status

right, problem solved [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Broke into the ignition behind the fuse box and now my head unit comes on with the ignition and off with the removal of the key.

Problem now is the ever present hissing and alternator whine. I took an earth off the back off the head unit and took it to a chassis bolt while the dash was in pieces and now it's actually worse!!!

ive tried re-earthing the amp and now the head unit. I tried moving the RCA's, ive tried re-routing the power lead through the engine bay, what else is there?

Here is a pick of of breaking into the fuse box (please excuse the camera shake, it was the excitment of finally getting a switched ignition feed!!)

1st Gear

Status

Right, i seem to have nailed down this buzzing/engine whine/popping/sleepless nights problem but need some advice.

The interferance is definately coming through the RCA's. I ran a new power lead off the battery outside the car, through the window and to the amp. Same interferance. I took out the glove box and got a couple of good chunky, short earths to the head unit, same interferance.

when I ran the RCA's down the centre of the car, the interferance dissapeared, eureka!!! Or so i thought. As soon as the RCA's go back through the dash behind the head unit interferance comes back, so even if I ran them down the centre console (which would be very tricky anyway as the carpet behind the hand brake seems imovable!) they would interfere.

Now for the odd bit and probably the key to the problem. When i unplug the sub RCA the interferance dissapears completely. This led me to suspect the quality of the shielding of the RCA running to the sub so i swapped the RCA's over, interferance gone again. But as soon as i plug both sets of RCA's in, unless i run them down the centre of the car OUTSIDE the dash i get the interferance.

The other strange thing is that the interferance comes through the rear speakers regardless of which combination of RCA's i use.

I know have 1 set of RCA's running to the amp and split to the the 3 channels. This gives no interferance at all but i have obviously lost my sub channel and is unsatisfactory as a long term solution.

HELP!!!

Status

So, you have 2 different brands of RCA's?
    One works fine, the other introduces interference?
    If one set is introducing interference, via the screen (the protective shield round the signal wires), it will present itself across all channels, you just can't hear it on the sub cause it's low pass.
    Can you buy a second RCA cable that is identical to the good one?

Status

If you run the sub RCA's using the dodgy RCA cable, but don't push both ends all the way home, so that the screen is not connecting, what happens?

Status

Tony
    Spoke to Leddy about this on Saturday. Went through a few things, turns out it was a faulty (or badly designed) amp. Luckily Leddy had already invested in a second amp, an Alpine, because of the original problems with the Concert HU. But he was using a Calibre amp with the new HU. Anyway, swapped the amps and problem solved.
    I think Leddy has now completed all the tasks we set for him, though, unfortunately, not in the required timescale.
    Anyway everything is now working perfectly.

Neutral

Status

Andy/Leddy

Good news - glad the system is working fine. Now I've just gotta think of some other tasks to give out..!

Tone

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12