ISO wiring help. Information needed. Concert CD player.

MiT

Work Hard, Play harder!!
Reaction score
Guys i have some questions to ask. Today i took the HU out for the first time, to do some reasearch into the connections of the ISO. Below are some pictures.

I noticed some odd things:

1. There was a brown wiring cut in half, which was also connected to a black wire which didnt go anywhere into the HU. What could have this been?

2. Speaker wires were connected to FL, FR, +/-, but were taped of on the ends. I guess someone had wired new speaker wires, then removed them after.

3. Someone has also spliced the Earth and Ub+ (power?). Why? What could else could they have powered?

4. Is the yellow + white, and Green + white, for LR and RR represetivly?
If so why didnt they use the LF and RF as well from this block, instead of middle block?

EDIT: just notice that the green, and yellow only use one wire for each, no +ve or -ve. So what are they used for?

5. And what is the "com" and little "switch symbol" for? Is this the IGN? It also looks like this wire was once cut and spliced.

6. I had also noticed that there were 3 other wiring hanging inside coming from behinh glove box, red, yellow and brown. What do you think they were used for?
P.S i did notice that i have a GPS + tax disc in one. Anything to do with that?

I didn't strip much of the tape back as i didnt want to start making a mess. (Just yet :) )
Sorry for so many questions but its really had to find info on the net, and when i search the forum it throws up all sorts of info.

Also do you think i can make use of any other wires they maybe hidden in the car?

Thanks once again.

audi_wiring.jpg

audi_wiring2.jpg

audi_wiring9.jpg

audi_wiring8.jpg

audi_wiring7.jpg

audi_wiring6.jpg

audi_wiring5.jpg

audi_wiring4.jpg

audi_wiring3.jpg

audi_wiring1.jpg

I wonder if someone had previously wired in a hands-free car kit? I also have the GPS tax disc holder and this can double as an antenna to strengthen a mobile phone signal.

The only other possibility I can think of is that an aftermarket DIN-sized sat nav/stereo unit (like Blaupunkt or Becker) was fitted - this would also explain the GPS tax disc holder again.

Someone's had a whale of a time in there.
Previous owner has obviously had an aftermarket HU in there, and instead of using readily available adapters has just butchered the Audi looms.
Then when refitting the stock HU has bought some new plugs as the black power ISO should hav more than just 12v and ground on it. Should have K-BUS at least. Does the HU switch on with the ignition? and does it shut down after an hour?
The yellow/white & green/white are pre-outs for the rear/sub amp. As you don't have Bose then the front pre-outs aren't used and the front speakers run off the amp inside the HU (the middle brown connector).
Nice clear photo's by the way, makes a change from some of the fuzzy mobile phone crap that usually gets posted on here.

Hey Andy, was waiting for your reply. :)

AndyMac said:
Someone's had a whale of a time in there.
Previous owner has obviously had an aftermarket HU in there, and instead of using readily available adapters has just butchered the Audi looms.

Idiot. :motz:

AndyMac said:
Then when refitting the stock HU has bought some new plugs as the black power ISO should hav more than just 12v and ground on it. Should have K-BUS at least. Does the HU switch on with the ignition? and does it shut down after an hour?

AndyMac said:
Does the HU switch on with the ignition?

yeap

AndyMac said:
does it shut down after an hour?

Never tried. You mean, turn on ign, turn key back to home, leave for an hour?

AndyMac said:
The yellow/white & green/white are pre-outs for the rear/sub amp. As you don't have Bose then the front pre-outs aren't used and the front speakers run off the amp inside the HU (the middle brown connector).

Cool.

AndyMac said:
Nice clear photo's by the way, makes a change from some of the fuzzy mobile phone crap that usually gets posted on here.

Thanks, i try by best. Had it on macro mode, so it does help with close ups.

So what your recon about the other wires?

MiT said:
5. And what is the "com" and little "switch symbol" for? Is this the IGN? It also looks like this wire was once cut and spliced.

6. I had also noticed that there were 3 other wiring hanging inside coming from behinh glove box, red, yellow and brown. What do you think they were used for?
P.S i did notice that i have a GPS + tax disc in one. Anything to do with that?

I did find this:
http://www.phatnoise.com/audi/installation_guides.htm
Click on A3(2006)

and theres a better pin out on this site:
http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articles/electrical_equipment/ipodinstall.html

Still a bit confused. :confused:

Also whats K-bus, how does it work? Which wire should this be?

So after reading page 11 of 18. And checking against my wiring i have found this:

Text in blue is what i have wires in.

I also noticed that i can use pin 5 of connector III, as an IGN switch, or 17 connector II. Is this true?

EDIT: After some reading i cant use Antenna output, as this is only 12v when Radio is used. So i must use the other pin.

What does the can-bus high and low do?

Multi-pin connector I, 20-pin – black

1 - Line output - left rear, to Amplifier R12
2 - Line output - right rear, to Amplifier R12
3 - Line output - Ground, to Amplifier R12

4 - Line output - left front, to Amplifier R12
5 - Line output - right front, to Amplifier R12
6 - Switched positive to Amplifier R12
7 - Infotainment CAN-Bus - High

10 - CD - Ground, to CD Changer R41
12 - Infotainment CAN-Bus Low
13 - CD data input from CD Changer R41
14 - CD data output to CD Changer R41
15 - CD-Clock from CD Changer R41
16 - Battery positive (B+) - Terminal 30 to CD Changer R41
17 - Switched positive to CD Changer R41
18 - Line output - Ground, to CD Changer R41
19 - Line output - left, from CD Changer R41
20 - Line output - right, from CD Changer R41

Multi-pin connector III, 8-pin – black

2 - Anti-theft alarm Ground from Comfort System Central Control Module J393 (where applicable)
5 - Switched positive to Antenna Amplifier R24 (where applicable)
7 - Battery positive (B+) - Terminal 30
8 - Ground (GND) - Terminal 31

MuIti-pin connector IV, 10-pin – red

1 - LF mute - Telephone (where applicable)
3 - LF (+) from Telephone (where applicable)
4 - LF (-) from Telephone (where applicable)

K-BUS or K-line is the old version of CANBUS, this is usually only used to tell the HU when the keys are in the ignition, ignition on, keys out, thus no need for that highly expensive ignition on 12v feed!
It also allows VAGCOM to talk to the HU - no idea why apart from showing Bose on the display.
You have CANBUS hi & lo so I think this supercedes the K-line.

I take it you ditching the Audi HU and replacing it with a touchscreen?
If this is the case then you'll need to get an ignition on feed from either the fusebox (Radio S-Kont fuse if you have one) or you'll need to wire it in from the ignition switch. You can always use any of the ignition on fuses, but this means power down when you turn the engine off, whereas a proper ignition on/accessory feed only powers down when you take the keys out.
All the switched feeds on the loom are provided by the HU, so can only be used if retaining the HU. They are also low current triggers, so can't power anything, if you need to power a device then use the trigger purely to switch a relay, which will then draw its current from a perm live source.

AndyMac said:
K-BUS or K-line is the old version of CANBUS, this is usually only used to tell the HU when the keys are in the ignition, ignition on, keys out, thus no need for that highly expensive ignition on 12v feed!
It also allows VAGCOM to talk to the HU - no idea why apart from showing Bose on the display.
You have CANBUS hi & lo so I think this supercedes the K-line.
mmm...ok

AndyMac said:
I take it you ditching the Audi HU and replacing it with a touchscreen?

yeap..:salute:

AndyMac said:
If this is the case then you'll need to get an ignition on feed from either the fusebox (Radio S-Kont fuse if you have one) or you'll need to wire it in from the ignition switch. You can always use any of the ignition on fuses, but this means power down when you turn the engine off, whereas a proper ignition on/accessory feed only powers down when you take the keys out.

I understand. I will most likly use the easiest one to get too.

AndyMac said:
All the switched feeds on the loom are provided by the HU, so can only be used if retaining the HU. They are also low current triggers, so can't power anything, if you need to power a device then use the trigger purely to switch a relay, which will then draw its current from a perm live source.

Also would the same principle apply to the red connector used for the amp?

"Also would the same principle apply to the red connector used for the amp?"
Fraid so, the only switched supply (ignition on) actually fed to the HU used to be the ignition on (Radio S-kont) which is now controlled by the CANBUS, all the rest are fed from the HU and switched by the HU, when it's turned on/off, so you'll have to pick this feed up from the fusebox.

Why cant they just make it simple. Never mind.

Also i didnt get the HU code when i bought the car. Is there a way of finding out, before i disconnect it?

Cheers.

Only the same costly way you can find it out if you lose it.
With the CANBUS cars you don't need it if you refit it to the same vehicle, so if all you're worried about is refitting when you sell the car then you should be alright.

Yeah, i was only going to refit it back to my car. So in that case i should be ok.