Monster MotorsportJMB Retrofits

Thread: S3 ICE Upgrade

hud at ye bam

Status

S3 ICE Upgrade

Looks like it's my turn to not use the search button and start another thread about this.

My S3 has the non-Bose Chorus head unit and it sounds dire. I'm wanting a better sound, but I want to keep it as factory as possible. I've been looking at ugrading the head unit to the Audi Concert CD one, and replacing the 6-CD player with an Ipod. Also looking to do the Stealth sub thing (finally), but what are peoples thoughts on changing out the speakers? Is there much improvement to be had without replacing the doorcards?
    [/sarcasm]

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status
    If all you do is change the speakers then you'll be hard pushed to notice any difference, you still have a puny 2 x 20w driving them from the Audi HU.
    If you want to transform the sound do the sub, then if you want better clarity/less distortion upgrade the front speakers but amp them otherwise they will always struggle with the HU's internal amp. Even amped the fronts will then struggle with the flimsy door card so there is a big limit to what any front components will deliver.
    Stealth sub or proper sub will allow you to run the fronts with less bass going to them which improves their performance no end.

Audi S3 (2000)

Status
    Andy, Do you have any diagrams, measurements etc for the stealth sub you made? how did you make the curve in mdf etc. id be interested in doing this too.

Status
    The measurements wouldn't be a lot of use TBH, even if I sent you the templates I use there is so much electric planing and routing to get the angles it really would only give you the shape, which wouldn't then fit together.
    I make the enclosures to order for £95 and that includes wadding, gold terminals, wiring & fitting brackets. The curve is formed from 3 layers of bendy MDF laminated together, which is tricky as there's a rebate down the middle to accomodate the seam in the wheelarch. The whole thing has to be rock solid otherwise it won't work. Took me 3 prototypes before I had it cracked so I wouldn't recommend reinventing the wheel.

5th Gear

Status
    How much is the sub you reccommend to use? is 95 including postage?
    are they painted or just 'wood' colour?

cheers
    2001 Audi S3 l MTM Remap l 252.7bhp 432.4Nm l Forge 007P l ECS Porsche Stage 2v2 Front Brake Set-up l ECS Stage 1 Rear Brake Set-up l 18" RS4 Alloy Wheels

Status
    £95 is for the enclosure, P&P is £15 via Parcelforce48 (insured & guaranteed) or you can collect from Southampton or Bracknell.
    The enclosure is finished in Satin black.
    The sub you need is the JL Audio 6W04 which are around £85, or I can supply one fitted & tested for an additional £85 so you'll save on the postage as P&P remains the same.
    http://www.incarexpress.co.uk/view_p...hp?partno=6W04

Audi S3 (2000)

Status
    Usefull to to know andy,

I take it i would have to upgrade the stock AMP to drive this puppy. is that plug and play or are the issues with the stock bose speakers?

Status
    Yes you need a 250wrms amp to drive the sub.
    I provide an adapter that plugs into the Bose sub loom, so it is plug & play once you've run power from the battery for the amp.
    The amp can be mounted behind the rear speaker panel for a totally stealth install.