RNS-E In A4

rashpal1

Reaction score
Hi, I have just taken delivery of my RNS-E unit and adapter cable etc today..

If i installed the kit today and did not make the required changes to Vagcom till the weekend will this cause problems or will it damage anything in the car such as DIS, ECU etc....

Thanks

Pal

You're fine to do the install. There will be no risk to the car at all. Without coding on the A4, DIS won't work and it's likely an error will appear in the diagnostics, but the RNS-E will still operate with no problems.

I installed mine 3 weeks ago, dont know when Im gonig to get it coded for the DIS, hopefully soon tho, but its working fine at the minute!

There are several VAG-COM users on this forum (and navplus.us) who, for a couple of beers probably, will do the coding for you as long as you can drive over to meet them.

Cool nice one...
I will go ahead and install the lot then.. Can't wait..

I have someone up the road from me who works for Audi, have to wait till the weekend though.. Only time when he is free...

Thanks guys...

Post up some pictures of your installation process if you can - it helps other users here who are thinking about doing the same thing!

I'm looking to get one but dont know where to look - can anyone point me in the right direction...

Ebay.

Search RNS-E and try the sellers Topsatnav or dj.kolia, both in UK, I got my RNS-E and also a glovebox CD changer from the 2nd guy, no complaints.

Thanks mate, I have been checking ebay but its always good to work on recommendations

My RNS-E came from Lithuania which would have put me off had I known. The seller was registered in Ireland though so I didn't know til it arrived. Though its spot on so I have no complaints at all.

He wasn't accepting paypal which was a pain although he did pay for the bank charges to wire the money across to him. I ended up paying £370 which is cheaper than I have see them go for.

And my Concert 2 is currently up to £120 on fleabay which gets me some of the money back.

Hi

I did my install on Friday evening.. Really straight forward, sorry no pics. Broke my camera on holiday not got replacement yet.

It took me about 30mins to get it all installed.. Just simply remove the old Symphony II unit, Plug in the adapter cable that I got from eBay. Remove the plastic casing from the diversity antenna and install it to the new diversity and Radio antenna adapter. You will also need to connect the aerial cable to this adapter.

I placed the GPS aerial above the glove box as I did not have the correct torx driver to remove the screws for the Speedo. The glove box has 5 blots that you need to remove. Three are in the glove box on the top as you open it, and the other two right underneath in the foot well. Pull the glove box out and you will see a steel cross-member. I attached the GPS to this and cable tied the wires back top the RNS-E.

Once this is done, just plug in the main plug to the RNS-E unit, attached the GPS aerial and the double fakra connecter. Make sure you have it the right way round.

Then make sure you have tucked all the wires to one side before sliding the RNS-E back in. I left the glove box out as you can get access to the back of the RNS-E and all the cables. This helps you to move the adapter blocks and cables out the way if they get caught anywhere while sliding the unit back. Once the unit is slid back you should hear it click, this means it has locked back in place.

Once you have done this, test the unit make sure you are getting a GPS signal AM/FM reception etc. Once you are happy, put the glovebox back in.

Can't belive how much better the sound is compared to the symphony II system, and also looks great. I get around 4-5 Sat signals with the GPS above the glovebox. Have had it go up to 6 & 7 too..

I got all my install info from

http://www.navplus.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=527
http://www.navplus.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=462

For anyone interested doing the same thing..
Hope this makes sense, sorry for lack of photos..

Pal

Nice one Pal, glad it all went in okay. My experience (as documented in my own thread, see signature below) is amazingly similar; I also thought the sound quality was a big improvement over Symphony II.

Also liked the tip about leaving the glovebox out until last - it's true you can reach the wires (just!) and can tidy up anything that gets stuck. Important when you consider that the RNS-E is fan-assisted for cooling.

benw123 said:
Nice one Pal, glad it all went in okay. My experience (as documented in my own thread, see signature below) is amazingly similar; I also thought the sound quality was a big improvement over Symphony II.

Also liked the tip about leaving the glovebox out until last - it's true you can reach the wires (just!) and can tidy up anything that gets stuck. Important when you consider that the RNS-E is fan-assisted for cooling.

Thanks mate..

Next step is to install TV& DVD.. Any tips anyone!

Hi All,

I coded my car yesterday with Vagcom, all went well apart from on thing..

Coding the DIS did not work.. Does not show Navigation at all..

STG 17 (Instrument cluster) -> Adaptation -> Function 10 -> Channel 62
+01 - Radio
+02 - Telefon
+04 - Navigation
+08 - Telematics
+16 - Instrument Cluster
To add navigation, add +4 to the current value.

In Vagcom my value was 17, i assume this was made up of
16 (Instrument Cluster) + 1 (Radio)

I added 4 to this value making it 21. On the info from Naviplus.us it says change this to 5, 4(navigation)+1(Radio). Would this not stop the Instrument Cluster from working.

Please help, what have others coded in Vagcom for this value???

Also does anyone know where i can get a 2007 RNS-E DVD from so i can get TMC working and the latest maps. I have 2006 at the moment...

Cheers

Pal

Have you got the colour DIS..??? I know there are problems getting the red DIS/display to work. Audi know it doesn't work but as they only sell Nav with a colour DIS they dont intend to fix it.

Hello Mate..

I have the Red DIS not the full colour one. I did read on one of the posts here that there is a bug and that to get it to work you start the navigation route off then switch the RNS-E off then on again and it begins to work..

Don't know if this works though...

Can i change my DIS for a colour one, is it a simple change do you know?

Pal

rashpal1 said:
Search navplus.us - I recall a retrofit has been done there with pictures. I can't help with the coding though. Just out of interest, where did you get the coding done?

rashpal1 said:
Hello Mate..

I have the Red DIS not the full colour one. I did read on one of the posts here that there is a bug and that to get it to work you start the navigation route off then switch the RNS-E off then on again and it begins to work..

Don't know if this works though...

Pal
As far as I remember this "fix" doesn't work all the time, though I cant remember what was said. I have the red DIS and haven't even bothered trying to do it following my retro fit. But cant say I have been left wanting it when using th RNS-E.

And I dont thnk the DIS isn't an easy change either, but i read about that on Navplus.us so you'll get more info on there.

Ok thanks mate..

Any ideas where i can get hold of a 2007 version of the Navi Disc??? :)

My local dealer (Swindon Audi) put 2007 DVD in under free upgrade program whilst I had my MOT done there. Even though I did not say the RNS-e was retrofit, they were never factory fitted to my 2003 S6. Try searching the RNS-e forum, there are several threads on the 2007 DVD as long as your arm. Or can be bought off well known auction site but I'd say talk to dealer... Good luck.