Splitting components

orion1210

Reaction score
Hi I've currently got a nice set of macrom 6.5" components in my old car which i'd like to transfer to my 2002 a3 quattro 3 door.

I understand that the fronts are 5.25" and the back 6.5". Please correct me if i'm wrong!!

I'd like to fit them in the back so...

Can i run the macrom woofers with their crossovers WITHOUT the tweeters and expect the same performance and frequency response or do the crossovers rely on the tweeters impedance to work correctly?

The stock fronts are actually 4" mids and 1" tweeters.
You can run the woofer on it's own no problem but in the A3 they're only mounted to a flimsy doorcard so really haven't got much to kick against, so don't expect much mid bass from them. Also running them off the stock 2 x 20w amp won't do them justice either.

this will depend on how the crossover has been designed as to how it will be affected
if its a simple 6db or 12db high pass then it shouldnt be a problem
youll get frequencies upto around 3.5khz from the mid

just out of curiosity
why would you want to do this anyhows ?? the better option is to purchase new correct size and fitments in the front
id reccomend either rainbow or focal speakers (try and get something that has quite a high sensitivity ) as these speakers will be louder for exactly the same power from your amplifier

and leave the rears as standard or replace the rears completely with the macrom components

I'm planning on getting some new components for the front anyway.

Wanted the 6.5 in the back to increase the mid/midlow bass performance as andymac says the fronts are a bit flimsy and you don't get much out of the stealth set up.

I'll be running a rockford fosgate punch 400a4 and whatever sub amp i decide on as my current amp is a rf power BD500.1.... a bit over kill for the stealth set up!!

The 500 and rf sub will be for sale if anybod's interested... nice set up.

I guess i could just bridge two channels on the 400 to run the small sub in the stealth encloser?

Are they 6.5" in the rear sides then?

I'd like a genesis profile 5 in the future though.

Yes 6.5" coaxials in the rear but again mounted to a flimsy piece of hardboard loosely clipped to the bodywork.

You could actually fabricate an MDF baffle bolted to the bodywork behind the rear speaker panel, and mount the woofer to this as there's loads of room behind there once you remove the stupid polystyrene bolster.