Upgrade of A3 Symphony system.

sharma

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 1.9tdi sport Audi A3 (52 Plate - 2002 model). There is a symphony head unit installed in the car (double din)
with tape and cd. I want to keep the existing system for a number of reasons. One being the fact that I have controls on the steering. I have an amplifier, subwoofer and speakers which I want to put into the car however it seems to be a difficult job. I have been told I cannot simply use the existing speaker wires and convert them to RCA (phono leads) as they are amplified. (Not sure why they can’t do this). So I went to an audio shop as they said they could use the front speaker wires however they had a look and are now saying the front speakers are also amplified. They have said my only option is to get a new system or I might be able to get a set of converter leads which allow me to convert the leads into RCA connections.

Please help as the standard system is not producing the sound I want. There must be a way to do this. I have heard AndyMac knows a lot and might be able to provide me with the leads required? There is also a small sub in the left rear compartment but this does not do much.

Thanks.

Just unplug the sub and all the connections you need are on that connector -left & right pre-outs (RCA's) remote on, and rear speaker connections.
You'll need a 4ch amp (2ch's bridged for the sub and the other 2 for the rear speakers).
You will need to run power from the battery for the new amp.
Pin outs of the sub connector (non Bose) is as follows:
A3subloompinouts.jpg

I just take an RCA lead cut one end off, strip back the wires and solder on very small spade terminals, then do the same for a pair of short speaker cables ad the remote on. These are then plugged into the Audi connector and taped down so they can't move around.

That sounds very easy to do. Why is it that none of the car audio stores know about this? Everyone i ask says you have to change the head unit. I dont understand why.

Thanks a lot for the advice though. So this has worked on a number of the cars you have tried it on then?

I dont have a 4 channel amp. I have 2 two channel amps which i assume can do the same job.

Yes of course as long as you don't mind either the rear speakers not working or the sub not connected.
You need a 4ch amp, that's why I said you need a 4 ch amp.
You can pick up an Alpine MRV-F400 or F405 on ebay for about £80, totally solid and more than capable.

Andy he says he has 2 (in number) two channel amps which is the same number of channels as one four channel amp, one amp for the sub (as long as it can be bridged) & one amp for the speakers.

So it will do the same job, only problem is extra space needed.

Ahhh yes sorry missed that. Yes absolutely. You can mount one either side behind the rear speaker panels, there's loads of room.

Hi,

I have managed to locate a lead which i have been told will allow mt to have 2 amp pre outs from my Symphony head unit. AndyMac has told me i have the option of wiring amplfiers from the subwoofer connection, however this seems like another option to me. The lead can be seen at:

http://www.bluespot.co.uk/stock/preamp.asp
http://www.prestigeaudiodirect.co.uk/becker-preout-lead-p-357.html

Will this enable me to add an amplifier? Which lead is the better option? I have not taken out my head unit so am not sure about connections at the back. If someone could let me know i would be greatful.

Thanks.