New stereo equipment and battery trouble

fenian672000

Reaction score
Hello,

A couple of months ago i had installed an amplifier sub and new head unit.

The head unit needs to be turned off manually as it doesnt switrch off w the ignition, but i do this religously

My problem is that i work offshore on an oil rig at 2 weeks at a time and the last two times i have came home from offshore my battery has been completely drained, and this morning after haven given the car a good run the day before the battery was flat again....all this has only started happening since the stereo equipment was installed.

So....today i went to Halfords to get a new battery, and asked the guy to fit it as i needed to go do some shopping blah blah.....when i got back the guy said that he couldnt get access to remove the old battery and said that when he connected the old one back up that there was quite a spark and that he believes that something is drawing a current when the ignition is off.

When i got home i investigatred a wee bit, the amplifier is deffinately turning off w the h/u..........I also disconnected the amp power cable from the battery then disconnected the battery terminal and connected again minus the amp power cable and there was still a spark....the only other new bit of equipment is the aerial amplifier for the headunit, could this be drawing a current when the ignition is off??

Was also thinking that is it really abnormal to have this spark when reconnecting the battery as there is also the alarm system drawing a current......any ideas will be appreciated.

You always get a spark when reconnecting the battery, so I wouldn't think that was necessarily cause for concern. Taking advice from a Halfords muppet who can't even figure out how to replace a car battery, now that's more worrying (joke).
It could just be a coincidence that this problem has developed since upgrading the audio. How old is the old battery? They only really last 5-6 years.
The aerial amp can only be drawing current if it's wired up incorrectly. It should be wired to the same remote on/power antenna connection on the HU as the amp, so easy to check. If that checks out then buy a decent Bosch Silvertop (not a crappy Halfords jobbie) and see what happens.

its also worth trying a battery drain test to see if you have a drain in the first place or wether it is just a knackered battery that dies after two weeks of not being used, buy a cheap and cheerfull multimeter for halfords disconnect the battery negatitive termainal and put the meter between the two terminals in amp mode, close the bonnet release manually shut the doors and lock the car after about five mins all control units should have shut down leaving you with a 0.03 amp drain, this would mean all is ok!!
please note that some cars can take upto 2hrs and 30mins to set completely and all control units to go to sleep!

AndyMac said:
You always get a spark when reconnecting the battery, so I wouldn't think that was necessarily cause for concern. Taking advice from a Halfords muppet who can't even figure out how to replace a car battery, now that's more worrying (joke).
It could just be a coincidence that this problem has developed since upgrading the audio. How old is the old battery? They only really last 5-6 years.
The aerial amp can only be drawing current if it's wired up incorrectly. It should be wired to the same remote on/power antenna connection on the HU as the amp, so easy to check. If that checks out then buy a decent Bosch Silvertop (not a crappy Halfords jobbie) and see what happens.

The cars a late 2003 model so im thinking the battery should still be ok