Does Symphony II need programming to take Phatnoise?

SimonP

Reaction score
I've cabled in the phatnoise changer cable, but the phatnoise shows no signs of life. I found the following link which hints that the Symphony II needs to be configured to enable the external CD changer:

http://www.ibiblio.org/tkan/audi/radios/symphony2.html

Did anyone have to reprogram their symphony II when they installed their phatnoise, or was it simply a case of plug and play ?

The other, less palatable option is that the phatnoise has shuffled off its mortal coil...

A few people on the Phathack forum had problems with their VAG radios not being coded for an external CD changer (luck of the draw). Its not a common problem, but it has happened to more than one person so cannot be discounted without checking, VAG Com will recoded it for you.

Also a lot of problems are linked to the cable plugs not seated correctly (even though they look it) or the brown ground wire disconnected etc.

Hi timps, do you know if the 12v line always comes on when the headunit is switched on? It does on my cable, but if it does it whether the headunit is programmed for a cd changer or not it doesn't prove much yet. I'm guessing it's a problem with the cable now, I'll have to check the pins. Thanks.

I've just had another brainstorming session and found that the DIN cable that came with the unit only has 9 pins, and that the switched-ign 12V pin isn't there (when looking at various pin outs posted on the web). Does this cable (the audi DIN changer cable) normally have 10 pins and have the permanent and switched live cables activated only when the head unit is switched on?

I wired up the phatnoise to a bench top power supply, and when I applied 12v to both permanent and switched lives it whirred into life, span up its drive and flashed its leds.

If you know any answers I'd be grateful, before I splash out on a replacement cable!

Thanks.

The Audi cable has 10 pins at the Phatbox end and nine at the head unit end this is because the audio input is changed from separate left / right ground to a common ground mid cable (pin 18).

Pins 10 -16 - 17 supply the power and ground IIRC 16 is always on & 17 being the trigger not sure if it’s a constant or a pulse trigger the phatnoise does not use pin 6.

Multi-pin connector I, 20-pin - black connector at the back of the Symphony II.

1 - Line output - left rear, to Amplifier R12
2 - Line output - right rear, to Amplifier R12
3 - Line output - Ground, to Amplifier R12
4 - Line output - left front, to Amplifier R12
5 - Line output - right front, to Amplifier R12
6 - Switched positive to Amplifier R12
7 - Infotainment CAN-Bus - High
10 - CD - Ground, to CD Changer R41
12 - Infotainment CAN-Bus Low
13 - CD data input from CD Changer R41
14 - CD data output to CD Changer R41
15 - CD-Clock from CD Changer R41
16 - Battery positive (B+) - Terminal 30 to CD Changer R41
17 - Switched positive to CD Changer R41
18 - Line output - Ground, to CD Changer R41
19 - Line output - left, from CD Changer R41
20 - Line output - right, from CD Changer R41

Phatnoise/ CD - Pin/Wire locations. Depending the on cable I have seen 2 colour codes there may be more i have seen a bit of confusion where people follow the wrong colour code .

Pin 13 = Green or orange
Pin 14 = Black or pink
Pin 15 = Orange or Black
Pin 16 = Violet or blue
Pin 17 = Yellow or yellow
Pin 18 = Blue or brown / black
Pin 19 = Red or white
Pin 20 = White or red
Pin 10 = Brown or brown

If the cable looks ok then its probably the coding

The cable only has 9 pins in the DIN connector at the changer end, so it does look like the cable is bust.

Thanks. Looks like I'll have to buy a new one after all.

Just a thought.

In the context of consumer electronics, the term "DIN connector" commonly refers to a member of a family of circular connectors that were initially standardized by DIN for analog audio signals.

So we are taking about the Audi DIN plug (Round) & not the VW/ (new) Audi rectangular plug (not known as DIN).

The rectangular plug only has nine pins but the Round DIN has ten.

If you are a pin missing in the round plug then you are going to have some sort of problems depending on which pin.

It's the round audio-style DIN, every where I've read it says 10 pin yet this one (second hand) has only 9. I am going to test this evening with a substitute pin in the accessory-12V position (a piece of paper clip!).

SimonP said:
It's the round audio-style DIN, every where I've read it says 10 pin yet this one (second hand) has only 9. I am going to test this evening with a substitute pin in the accessory-12V position (a piece of paper clip!).

I modified the round DIN plug to its full complement of pins (looks like it rusted off) using a modified paper clip and the soldering iron and I've made some progress. Now the phatnoise powers up when the head unit switches on, but it's still not recognised by the head unit - and the phatnoise is left with the red led still on. From reading the manual it says that both leds will go out if all is ok. Any ideas as to what state it's got into now?