pre out adaptors in a3???

j4g3d

Reaction score
got 1.9tdi a3 98'

i have the standard tape headunit, and i was told i can get a sort of adaptor for it to enable me to use PRE OUTS so i can attach a amp to it

TRUE OR FALSE?

Yeah thats it, Just replace the yellow plug that in the back of your headunit with this one.

does anyone know how you actually use these pre outs? ive hooked summin up to them but ive pressed all the buttons on the stereo but cant locate it.

Presumably/hopefully you've hooked an amp up to them. They are live all the time so there's nothing in the menu's to switch them on/off.
Need a bit more info on what you've done as usually they just work. Remember you need to hook up power to the amp seperately then hook up the remote on trigger to the pre-out adapter to switch the amp on/off with the HU.

oh right, i got a mp3 player with rca ports on it so thought i would give that a try, obviously im not gona get it working, even tho the mp3 player is powered up by a rechargeable battery. I'll just wait till i get my amp installed then.

They're Pre-outs not inputs. In order to hook up an MP3 player you need to use an adapter that plugs into the CD changer port on the HU. The adapter has some electronics in it that fools the HU into thinking it has a changer connected, and then uses the RCA input that's part of the changer input.

oh yea i no what you mean, had that on previous HU. but i need my cd changer on my a3 stereo so its no good.