Satnav into 8L A3

batwad

Reaction score
Okay, I've decided it's finally time for me to retrofit the proper Audi satnav into my A3. I've seen plenty around about how easy it is to drop one into an 8P but does anyone know what the fitment's like for an 8L?

I've got the Symphony double-din HU already so I won't need to fanny around with cages and climate control, just wanna know if the 8P RNS-E fits into an 8L okay.

Oh, and while I'm at it, is there an RNS-F or any plans for one? Might it be worth waiting for, either to get one or get a cheaper RNS-E?

No plans for the RNS_F that I know of, buy an A4 8E RNS-E, not an 8P one for your car. The 8P has rounded corners and will not fit.

the early A6 RNS-E ones are the best to go for. They are already square so just need trimming - but best of all they accept CAN bus and GALA signals so they are pretty much plug and play with the right cable. - plus a GPS receiver.

The A6 ones leaving a bigger gap like mine. You will need to code an A4 to an A6 to get it to work in the 8L.

There is no guide for the 8L. I want to do one, all I need is a volunteer as I didn't have my camera when I fitted mine.

just ask on that site dude. Best person to ask is craigyb as he's done loads of them, even the RNS-E's into 8L's.

If you do complete it, detail the steps too. I'd be interested in updating my RNS-D with a RNS-E - although only if it comes in the right colour plastic, and not the lighter non-matching plastic.

batwad said:
Looks like I might end up being the guinea pig then :)

Do a search on tyresmoke, it has been done on there. You need the A6 unit and it needs to be trimmed

Trust me an A4 is a better fit

rick2.jpg

damn, thats looking tight :)

color match is close too.... did it need any touching up afterwards?

A4 unit it is then! Then I'll just need to find some kind soul in or around Bedfordshire who's got VAGCOM and likes beer...

I dont live in Bedfordshire, dont have Vagcom but I like beer if that helps?:shrug:

Gee, who says forums aren't a helpful source of information :friends:

Aaaaanyway, looking at (G-)units on eBay, found this one which seems to fit the bill but I've read places that I need an adapter. eBay's not turning up much, do they have to be custom-made or are they readily available?

P.S.: still waiting for my account on navplus.us to be activated :tumble:

I will be in Huntingdon on the 12th Feb maybe on the 11th and I will be very thirsty.

Two things Steve.
  1. Valentine's Day is the 14th.
  2. You're not really my type (lacking in boobs etc.)
Maybe you should try Yahoo! Personals :wub: :sex: ;)