Hard Wiring Sat-Nav... Help

Tallpaul

Reaction score
Well, sort of Sat-Nav. It's actually a trafficmaster YQ2 system but same differance.

Anyhoo, it comes with a cigarette lighter attachment, i've opened it up and it looks like this:

DSC00449.jpg

It has a simple 0.5amp in-line fuse, on the +ve wire is a resistor. Both the terminals are then connected to something encased in glue:

DSC00450.jpg

Any ideas what this resistor and thingy in glue could be? Some systems have to step down from 12v to 5v... I don't think that's what this is but i want to be sure.

My plan is to de-solder the red and white wires from the plug, tap the +ve in to an ignition live and fit a new 0.5amp in-line fuse and earth the other wire to the chassis.

Anyone got any advice or comments?

I would have thought your plan will be okay, but it's hard to say what the "resistor" really is. Have you got a multimeter? I'd hook it up inside the car with the attachment and see what current is running through it, just to be sure.

when i did my tomtom i bought a spare cigar lighter socket from audi. i connected the red to a ign live and brown to earth. i then hid it behind the dash and plugged the tomtom lead into it. this gives you a hidden power lead without cutting the plug off and spoiling the lead.

when you wired in where did you decide to mount Tom Tom?

SteveS said:
when i did my tomtom i bought a spare cigar lighter socket from audi. i connected the red to a ign live and brown to earth. i then hid it behind the dash and plugged the tomtom lead into it. this gives you a hidden power lead without cutting the plug off and spoiling the lead.

It's ok, the wires are easily removed/re-soldered to the existing plug. I can easily rebuild the cable so no need for a second socket.