iPod control

chopper602

3rd + overdrive
Reaction score
New to this forum, so don't know if this has been asked before ...

I have a 2003 A6 with the original 'symphony' 6 CD changer/cassette/radio and wondered if anyone can recommend any inexpensive iPod nano control system. I currently use an FM tuner, but it runs the battery out quite quickly, so I need to keep it plugged into the 12V cig lighter socket. It would be nice for it to be hidden away (centre front armrest?), but easy to change (Mrs-the-wife has her own iPod too!)

Any suggestions?

On another point I noticed that the supplied SatNav CD (2003/2004) was about £100 to replace, so I did a bit of net searching and 'found' one for download - seems to work Ok so far .....
:racer:

I am also considering a "retro" fit I-pod connection for my 06 A4 S-line. Would be good to hear other comments please. I was given a FM transmitter for Christmas but like Tim, I'm looking for wired connection..

The Dension ICE link plus are probably the best for the money, around 80 - 100 quid.

The AUdi one is just the same with CD6 (Ipod controls) disbaled and costs a little more.

The best new ones are the Dension Gateway 300's ( and 400's if you have a CD changer in the glovebox as well. )

They offer Ipod, USB2 and aux interfaces and cost around £169 + fitting for the gateway 300.

Craig

Hello to you all this is my first post since moving from Type-r-owners

I too am trying to solve this problem so i have invested in

VADX0001 - 40 quid from ebay (This converts CD to AUX-IN)

I managed to find alead that has the IPOD Dock connector on one end and then two RCA cables on the other end. There is also a small 12+VE lead with inline fuse toi charge the IPOD.

Am going to route the cable to the armrest probably

I sourced this lead from a electrical company in America for about $36

found the same item on Amazon.com (Search for - Direct Audio Input From iPod Dock Connector to RCA Cable)

After posting and reading loads of threds on this subject i finally got a Dension Ice link plus from Ebay for my RNS-D sat nav plus!
Even remembered to get two sets of head unit removal keys!

I like the idea of installing the cable so the Ipod can go in the armrest
and i now that some people have actually done this!
'Lenaldo' on this forum did an armrest install! And i have some useful DIY guides on here:-

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec.html - Installation of Pod/IceLink (actually for an A6 allroad, but you get the idea!)

But after two months i still haven’t been brave enough to attempt to fit it!
I keep hearing stories about removing the glove box and having to reset the airbag light with VAGCOM afterwards!
Oh well I’ll keep on searching for a complete step-by-step (with pictures) idiots guide to the install!

Having removed and installed many many glove boxes, the air bag light will only come on if you have the air bag switch in the glove box and disconnect it and power up the car.

If you do not do that, then you will be ok, you can disconnect the lead, just dont turn on the ignition.