A3 infinity kappa?

nfluester

Reaction score
Just fitted a new Alpine 9812RR and is has made a massive improvement to the sound quality, however I feel I am being let down by the 5" fronts.

I have always wanted to get some infinity Kappas 50.5 for the front but am worried about mounting depth.

has anyone fitted Any infinity speakers in and A3 and if so was it easy and how did it sound?

whats the depth of the speakers?? When i upgraded my speakers at the front there was plenty of space. I added 6.5" but i had door boards built... let me know how you get on etc..

Hi Neil, told you you would'nt be dissapointed with the Alpine, and did you manage to get an adaptor, as I'm still looking for mine?

Also like we discussed last week, the space behind the front doors is minimal, unless you fancy chopping the door about a bit. The Focals I did have fitted a treat, because of the smaller voice coil/magnet. When I decided to change the front speakers I consulted 'Sextons' who gave me the maximum mounting depth that I could accomodate in the front.

And there is no-way you could fit a 17cm speaker in the std door aperature, unless you went for pro door builds.

Lewy

Yep I got a lead for car audio direct just up the road in Wallingford, also got some fascia adapters (maystar) and they are pants! dont's fit flush to the dash and stick out at the top.

it's funny the ammount of fader you have to use to counter the fact that you are now pumping 60W up the back of the front speakers and the rears are probably getting 10 out of the audi amp! might have to do a little re wiring to the harness.

I dont want to get any larger diameter I just wanted to check depth and weather anyone had actually installed Infinities.

I would love the focaly but unfortunatley I can's justify the cost against other modification.

Did you get your new head unit?

[ QUOTE ]
A3 97-R 1.8T said:
Yep I got a lead for car audio direct just up the road in Wallingford, also got some fascia adapters (maystar) and they are pants! dont's fit flush to the dash and stick out at the top.

it's funny the ammount of fader you have to use to counter the fact that you are now pumping 60W up the back of the front speakers and the rears are probably getting 10 out of the audi amp! might have to do a little re wiring to the harness.

I dont want to get any larger diameter I just wanted to check depth and weather anyone had actually installed Infinities.

I would love the focaly but unfortunatley I can's justify the cost against other modification.

Did you get your new head unit?

[/ QUOTE ]

Try MB Quart speakers... they fit perfectly with the adaptors (5.25"), and sounds great too. not too much £££ either!

Rich /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Call me silly but I have always wanted some! so against all the advice I have just purcahsed the following:

Infinity Kappa 50.5 Components for the front £29 on ebay althought they are probably knackerd and fart but at that price who cares!!

if they do then they can go straight back on ebay

cf_1.jpg

and a set of BRAND NEW Infinity kappa 652I for the rear from ebay £52.80. They have loads of holes so I must be able to get 2 or 3 to line up.

47_1.jpg

all in all I have saved a fortune off the retail price and have got front and rears for £80, I would highly recommend ebay for speakers and amps, you can pick up some good bargains

Now all I have to do is MAKE them fit

I also have a set off TT disks and carriers comming so it looks like it could be a busy weekend.

I will keep you updated on my findings

Yo can't mount aftermarket speakers directly onto the rear panels in the A3 as they use bizarre mounting posts that stick out behind the panel. You need to use adapters, but make sure you don't get the "worse than useless" Autoleads adapters for the rear speakers. They leave a 5mm gap all the way round the card mounting = zero bass. If you want a proper job, make your own spacer rings from 12mm MDF. Cut a hole sized correctly for your new speakers, then cut another outer circle about 1" bigger to create a ring. Use the OEM speaker to position the 3 x 8mm mounting holes, and drill these out all the way through. The ring should then sit flush over the mounting posts onto the rear panel and can be secured with the original screws. You can then mount the Kappa unit onto the MDF.

Thanks Andy, I thought it might be useful to add a few pictures for the next person doing it.

Managed to get the off side rear panel off after a few funny clonks and cruches!

for those who don't know the OE speaker is very naff paper cone thing an actually seeing it I would urge every one to change it.

got the jigsaw out and following your instructions I knocked up the these:

rings.jpg

here's how the look with the speaker:

spkrng.jpg

and finally on the door:

pnlrng.jpg

I need some washers for the screws as the screw head is smaller than 8mm

it's dark now so I am not going to get it back in tonight.

Standby for an update tomorrow.

just doing the same upgrades, though i'm using JBL stuff. and i'm putting 6x9's in the back.

i've got the whole car in pieces, ready to run all new thick speaker cable and RCA leads, etc. i'm putting in a 2 AWG power cable to the boot, so I can upgrade amps later.

i've got to make the mdf rings for the speakers, but then it's plain sailing!