Speaker Sizes in a A3

M44 DUB

Reaction score
Have a 1999 A3 and want to put my Infinity speakers from my old 106 GTI into the A3 but unsure if they're the same size.

Currently have 13cm for the front and 10cm for the rear will these fit in my A3 or will the fronts be 16cm?

Please advise as i want to get it rockin :arco:

i think the fronts are 13cm mate - take away the panel and measure them

2minute job

4" components in the front with a 1" tweeter, 6.5" coaxials in the rear.

Why?
Do you honestly think Audi put any thought into the sound system in the A3? Have you heard it? Isn't it more likely given the quality that they just put some speakers that they had lying around wherever they could fit them?

Well the weegies that i bought it from had hacked the rear speakers oot, one of the fronts is missing and the HU didn't work at all. Was shocked the Audi actually have subs and amps fitted to there standard HUs.

So it's 16cm rear and 10cm front? that still doesn't seam right to me but ill have a look tonight

I can assure you it's correct. The only reason for the "sub" is due to the total lack of bass from any of the cabin speakers, regardless of what you fit.

Andy mac is right, the fronts are smaller than the rears and you need adapter plates for both.
BTW anything ANDYMAC says is right, he is an ICE legend and I bought one of his home made subs for the A3 its nothing short of genius!
Sub installation:
sub1.jpg

and Amps that hide behind the passenger side rear door card:
a3amps.jpg

Proper stealth job!! Ive also got Infinity Kappa 6.5inch coaxials in the rear and some DLS components up front.....
The std stereo systems in the A3s are total crap.....

confusionhunter said:

You shouldn't run the power cable with the phonos mate, you will get interference from the alternator and it'l sound awful!
run the phonos down the opposite side of the car

"You shouldn't run the power cable with the phonos mate, you will get interference from the alternator and it'l sound awful!
run the phonos down the opposite side of the car"

Guess that's why you're getting so much alternator whine Mark!

Yes, another urban myth.
This is only really necessary if you're using crap RCA's, crap amps, or running extremely high power.
Interference or alternator whine is pretty much never cured by seperating the RCA's and power. Generally it's good practice to run the 2 seperately, if for nothing else it makes for less wiring to be stuffed under the trim, but it's a lot more hassle and totally unnecessary in the average install.
If you're getting alternator whine it's almost certainly because you've got an earth problem or are using crap components.
I've installed over 20 amps in various Audi's, and never had any issue with running RCA's and power together.

well its been in there almost a year and no issues....admitadly its not neat and tidy and its a tight fit but its perfectly safe. Everything is well insulated and well fitted (and fused) and then taped up to stop any rattles....of which there is none....
Which part do you think is unsafe?

The fact that it's stuffed in there with no air! Fire hazzard if you ask me. I'll just be putting mines in the boot and building my install round it.

:)
M44 DUB said:
Was shocked the Audi actually have subs and amps fitted to there standard HUs.

Your not driving FRENCH **** anymore mate you've gone upmarket now fella so expect more for your money when you purchase a quality car you get the little extras :salute: :thumbsup::) :)

AndyMac said:
I've installed over 20 amps in various Audi's, and never had any issue with running RCA's and power together.
Installed as per instructions from andy mac ( albeit for one amp...) and he also has never had any issues. Also amps have a thermal cut out so if they get to hot they stop and thats never happened and theres nothing there to catch on fire like sound proofing foam ( which has been removed).... also ther are nest to the ouiter skin which is cool. I
well I carry my family in the car and have no issues with safety and i still have full use of my boot.... Im happy.

"The fact that it's stuffed in there with no air! Fire hazzard if you ask me"
From what exactly?
There's plenty of air in the rear quarter panel, in the unlikely event that the amps overheat they shut down, and all connections are fused. So what exactly is going to catch fire?
Fires are only caused by bad power connections that aren't fused, not amps overheating. Do you honestly think an amp overheating will suddenly burst into flames?