A3 / A4 to have TMC from January 2007?

trims

Reaction score
I've ordered an A3 Sportback TDI Quattro and specified RNS-E sat-nav. I'm intrigued by the TMC functionality and came across an article on the Telegraph web site (19 October) which states:

"TRAFFICMASTER PLC SIGNS NEW RDS-TMC CONTRACT WITH CITROEN AND PEUGEOT AND CONTRACT EXTENSION WITH AUDI

The contract extension with Audi means that live traffic data will now be available on factory-fitted DVD based navigation systems in the A4 and A3 models. From January 2007 Trafficmaster's RDS TMC service will then be available across all Audi models. This announcement follows a previous agreement signed in 2005, whereby RTT provided its RDS TMC service as standard into the Audi A6 and A8 vehicles and in the new Audi Q7 launched in 2006."

Sorry I can't provide the URL, but the site prevents me from doing so as a newbie.

I asked my dealer about this and having checked with Audi UK all A3s built from Week 50 *should* be delivered with TMC functionality. However, Audi UK could not guarantee this and told the dealer that they would have to sort this with the customer (me) if not fitted. This seems a tad unfair on both dealer and customer having ordered a £25k+ car. I've been going to the dealer for >20 years so hopefully they'll see me right.

My questions are:
  • Have any Forum members got any better information about this?
  • Is the additional functionality delivered via an updated DVD (i.e. not dependent on the RNS-E head unit)?
TIA

Trims

This information was also quoted in Audi magazine this year, and they indicated that TMC in the UK would be activated by firmware updates on the RNS-E.

Your new A3 may or may not have it, depending when the next software release (to include TMC) is due. From the excellent www.navplus.us forum, they've already got details of their next release, so Europe hopefully won't be too far behind.

trims said:
Is the firmware update provided by the new DVD?
yeah, each new DVD that comes out upgrades the firmware/software, whatever you wanna call it, when you put it in for the first time it will automatically update the headunit with the latest software.

the latest DVD thats out at the moment is the 2006_1 disc and this has software version SW0460 (or SW0480) can't quite remember which, so the next DVD will be a 2007 version but until it comes out we won't know what the software version will be or if it will have TMC capability.

i hope it does though, its about ****** time we caught up with the rest of europe seeing as though we are actually part of europe!!!

I've just got the 2007 DVD and it's installed SW version 0550 - which DOES include TMC in the UK.

Note that the 2007 DVD is actually a 2 DVD set - West and East.

Thanks for the reassuring replies, guys.

The consistent message here and on the Navplus forum is that TMC works with the new discs and these should be available to existing owners as a 'warranty upgrade'.

My dealer still seems rather in the dark as to whether my new car will come fully equipped. Should find out soon.
Red A3 Sportback TDI Quattro arrives next week. :redrs4: :yum:

Its been a pleasure reading this forum for the past few weeks. Loads of useful information and tips. Thanks again.

PetrolDave said:
I've just got the 2007 DVD and it's installed SW version 0550 - which DOES include TMC in the UK.
Is it any good Dave? My DVDs are in the post (hopefully!).

benw123 said:
Is it any good Dave? My DVDs are in the post (hopefully!).
The upgrade was dead easy (insert DVD and wait).

The TMC works as it should (TMC goes green in the DIS and information appears in the INFO page).

Can't see any problems/issues with it. Just wish Audi had fixed the MIX fault like they have in the US 2007 DVD (pressing the FF button switches MIX off).

Hmmm i'd be interested in knowing this also?

1210tech said:
where did you get your 2007 dvd's from and are they copies or originals?

Ran the update this evening with no problems, and after a short time once the RNS-E was powered up, the TMC reports appear when you press INFO. You view them much like you would on the web, and by pressing the main knob it shows more details, along with a nice option to view the incident on the map.

Early days of course, but I think TMC is going to be a very cool feature indeed! :)

1210tech said:
where did you get your 2007 dvd's from and are they copies or originals?
Originals from German fleaBay.