Phatbox install...Turkish Style :)

dultanur

all promises, no action :)
Reaction score
hi guys!

got my 20gb phatbox a couple of days ago, and fitted it yesterday. first off, i think it's great!

as many of you know, you can't install the phatbox where teh cd changer is because the DMS cartridge won't let the compartment hatch close. so i decided to remove the metal casing and have something smaller fabricated out of metal. i didn't want to cut the original metal casing, i think it looks cool the way it is :)

while we were thinking, a buddy came up with a superb idea :idea:. and here are the results:

yes, we really did cover it with cardboard :lmfao:
actually the box from a texon xenon conversion. well it does the job of protecting the unit from dust, and it's free and it took only 5 minutes. we later removed the cd changer and the bracket, and stuck the unit on the subwoofer using foam and silicone. heres the result:

so everything works fine. doesnt look too good ofcourse :yes:

one thing to remind everybody: don't forget to get all your CDs out of the changer before rmoving it, as you can't afterwards.

and a question: do you guys think the vibrations from the subwoofer and my cars stupendously hard suspension will destroy my harddrive? altgough the unit sits on foam?

hard drives are very fragile anyway, let alone having it next to a huge sub with a magnet on the back the same size as the one in the hatch on lost, and we all know how the hatch ended up! :jump:

hehe yeah i know, but everyone has insatlled it somewhere in there...couldn't find a better place. any suggestions? maybe reinstall the cd changer bracket and sticking it on there with the foam?

i can't really install it in the boot because i put lots of stuff in it everday and will eventually destroy it (while trying to powerslide in turns :) )

My Phatnoise fits above the subwoofer with the DMS cartridge facing the taillight, only problem is that the subwoofer does interfear with the quality of the music.

so you have a similar setup with me. how long have you had this config? did you mount the phatbox right on the sub like i did? any hdd problems? and do you mean the sub makes electrical interference? my sound quality is pretty good, no alternator whine or anything. i haven't noticed any interference from the sub either... maybe i should listen more closely :)

some of my mp3s have very low quality encoding anyway, as long as the hdd is ok, no problem!

Yeah i noticed at the beginning of tracks it cut out every few seconds then it would be fine. I think it was the vibration which didnt help & vibration isnt good for a HDD from what i understand maybe a layer of foam would help. I didnt actually fix my phatnoise in place it was sort of wedge in by the side panel. I might atemped to fit it properly over christmas.

be carefull the casing will have acted as a heat sink so you may want to wantch the temp of the thing before it goes pop

thanks nick, i also thought of that... i know from loading songs in the cradle that the dms doesn't get hot at all... now i have to check the unit itself after i listen to it for a while.
after some thought, i may try to find a better place for it, maybe with less vibration. but i can't really think of a better place...

access isn't much of a problem as the dms is almost full already, so i won't be taking it out too often.come on people lets have some ideas!

update: i've checked the phatbox, it doesn't even get warm. tomorrow i'll try to find a better place to mount it.